Roland Wall Wart voltage wierdness? ACI-120c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Wall Wart voltage wierdness? ACI-120c

So, I went to fire up my drummer's digital drums the other day and make some noise- i'm a guitarist, so when I "play" drums, it's noise!

No go. Stick the fluke in the end of the wart cord. No good. Nada, Not the 9v the adapter said. Unplug it, melt it open with a torch (trust me I tried other ways) and troubleshoot. Blown fusible link, which I had in stock, fixed up in seconds, and connect test leads. No fuse blow, all good and... huh?

11.98v on the output? Rated for 9 but I get 12?

Is this typical of these sorts (or this particular) of wall warts? Everything seems to be fine besides the (33%) high voltage. I'm not going to plug it into the drums- my buddy's set!- though until I feel a little more confident. I kinda want to call roland...?

Thanks errbody!

The adapter under no load will read somewhat high. It is rated at to put out 9 volts under load.

Comment

Your 9v adaptor will ONLY make 9v when you are pulling the full amount of its rated current. Under no load, 12v sounds perfectly normal. My 12v adaptors usually come in at 17-18 when unloaded.

Is it the original wart that went with the drum set? If so, it will be fine.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Nice! It's the original, and the unit fired up just fine. Thanks for the confidence! I'll see if I can get the drummer who just saved 30 bucks to make a contribution to the board fund!

thanks again-

Comment

Working...
        X