Wurlitzer Model 206 Blowing Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wurlitzer Model 206 Blowing Fuse

My friend of mine brought home this Wurlitzer model 206 that he found in a dumpster. We crossed our fingers, plugged it in, and sure enough... it worked. That was several years ago, and he has since given up on it. It is in worse shape now: the sustain pedal is broken, the legs are broken, one of the speakers is torn. The last time he was playing it, I guess it tipped over (no feet) and now it blows a fuse every time it is powered up. I would really love to get this back in working order. I also plan on removing the top from the base like the 206A, for more portability.

A couple of questions...... I have yet to see another model 206 that looks like this one. They always have additional speakers in the base and the cut out is continuous as opposed to two separate compartments like on this one. Any ideas why the discrepancy?

Where is best to order/ build a new sustain pedal that can be removed like the model 200A?

Where is the best place to start looking for why it is blowing fuses?
    Attached Files
    My Builds:
    5E3 Deluxe Build
    5F1 Champ Build
    6G15 Reverb Unit Build

"Where is the best place to start looking for why it is blowing fuses?"
    This should help: http://www.vintagevibe.com/misc/Elec...e%20Manual.pdf
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I think that this is a classroom/piano lab model. Which fuse is blowing, the main ac or the power amp board fuse?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        I think that this is a classroom/piano lab model. Which fuse is blowing, the main ac or the power amp board fuse?
        You are correct that it is the student/ piano lab model, but most model 206 that I see look different. The main AC fuse is the one that is blowing. I have yet to change out the power amp board fuse, until I can add an inline fuse. The power amp board fuse has axial leads that are soldered to the board, and I have no idea where to find those.
        My Builds:
        5E3 Deluxe Build
        5F1 Champ Build
        6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

If you are sure the problem only started after it fell over, first off make sure that the top metal shielding plate didn't get bent/dislodged in a way that it is now contacting something it shouldn't.
          Those fuses are called pigtail fuses. Probably best to install an inline holder like you said.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It looks like the fuse holder next to the volume control was added, as the ac fuse is usually a pigtail fuse as well.

There's really not much to these things as far as the electronics are concerned. Check for shorted diodes in the power supply, shorted output transistors, shorts in the pickup comb, etc. If you have a light bulb limiter, use it. Worst case is a bad power transformer.

Comment

Working...
            X