Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I use a 4 ohm output amplifier to 4 8-Ohm speakers cabinet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I use a 4 ohm output amplifier to 4 8-Ohm speakers cabinet.

My computer was offline (Power supply) was gone, now fixed. I forgot how to wire my speakers so that I can use this old 4-Ohm amplifier with this cabinet.

Any suggestions will be tested and thanks in advance.

The 4 ohms is the "minimum" impedance that the amp can drive.
    4 ohms will also deliver the maximum rated power of the amp.
    You have a cabinet with (4) 8 ohm speakers, correct?
    Wire two sets of 8 ohm speakers in parallel. 4 ohms.
    Wire each set in series.
    8 ohms will be the result.
    There is no other way to do it.

Comment

Just a note: if you set it up series / parallel, the parallel pair in JPB's example will dissipate 80% of the power, the other 2 speakers only 20%. While the amp sees approximately 10ohms and that's ok for a 8 ohm output, that cabinet is no longer rated for 4 x the individual power of each speaker, because that implies identical current through each.
      Valvulados

Comment

JMAF, I think you misread what JPB said, common series/parallel arrangement with all spkrs. getting equal power. (2 sets in parallel with the 2 sets then wired in series).
        What you described would be one pair in parallel, in series with another series pair.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
          JMAF, I think you misread what JPB said, common series/parallel arrangement with all spkrs. getting equal power. (2 sets in parallel with the 2 sets then wired in series).
          What you described would be one pair in parallel, in series with another series pair.
          I did misread it, now I see. Sorry about that.
          Valvulados

Comment

Thanks for the fast response!

Comment

FWIW you could always wire up a switching jack to split the four speakers into two pairs. Then the cabinet could be run mono @8ohms or in stereo (not much effect in a single cab) or two 4ohm amps could be plugged into the one cab OR... A single 4ohm amp could run a pair at it's rated load impedance.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
              X