Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What driver for a talk box?

Hi all,

For my new project I'll be needing a talk box. Can anyone recommend a good driver to make one? I heard that modern horn drivers don't work too well as they don't go low enough, and you need something more like the old midrange ones used in Leslies. I've also seen a wooden adaptor made to fit a tube onto an ordinary small cone speaker. Is this worth doing?
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
    I've also seen a wooden adaptor made to fit a tube onto an ordinary small cone speaker. Is this worth doing?
    I'd try something like that before shelling out for a horn driver. I'll bet you could find a plastic funnel with a small end of suitable size to stuff the tubing into, and a large end big enough to cover a small speaker -- maybe something like a cheap computer speaker with it's own little amp built in.
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Hi Steve,
      I wouldn't worry too much, I'd say any small speaker would do just fine...years ago I built one using a 4 inch car radio speaker, an LM386 (1W), a funnel I "stole" from my mom's kitchen (unfortunately for her, it perfectly fitted the speaker ) and a couple of meters of silicone flexible tubing...

Hope this helps

Best regards

Bob
      Last edited by Robert M. Martinelli; 05-30-2011, 11:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

I used to get that effect when I was in my teens by using a metal funnel and a hard plastic tube over a full range 6" speaker. I ran my amp into the speaker contraption and had the plastic tube in my mouth in front of a microphone. The method was crude but as I recall the tone was really there.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Tommy used to work on the docks
          The Union went on strike
          He's down on his luck, it's tough, so tough

Gina works the diner all day
          Working for her man, she brings home her pay for love
          She brings home her pay for love

You know we've got to hold on to what we've got
          It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not
          We've got each other and that's a lot for love, for love

Woah, we're half way there, woah, livin' on a prayer
          Won't you take my hand and we'll make it, I swear
          Woah, livin' on a prayer

Comment

...Tommy's got his six strings in hock
            now he's holdin' in what it used to make it talk,
            it's tough, so tough....
            Gina dreams of running away
            when she cries in the night Tommy whispers:
            "baby it's OK.....someday..."

Comment

LOL!

One of my favorite misquotes, a singer in one of my bands in the '80's thought the line was;

"Gina drives a grader all day"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                I used to get that effect when I was in my teens by using a metal funnel and a hard plastic tube over a full range 6" speaker. I ran my amp into the speaker contraption and had the plastic tube in my mouth in front of a microphone. The method was crude but as I recall the tone was really there.
                That sort of approach worked for me. Speaker, funnel, plastic tube + lots of RTV.
                My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronsonic View Post
                  + lots of RTV.
                  What, no duct tape?
                  -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Do you feel alright?
                    -tb

Comment

OK, you have me sold on the cone speaker and funnel approach.

Now any tips on a cheap way to make a blond wig?
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

First, you need a blonde and two bottles of wine...
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

...(sharp) scissors....

Comment

This is the driver we use for Talk Box replacements: Midrange Driver Threaded 1 3/8 X 18 Thread 60W RMS | 54-060 (54060) | Distributed By MCM

It sounds "right", and has the correct 16 ohm impedance. If you remove the rear cover and invert the underlying spacer, it has the correct front-to-back dimensions to fit the old Altec drivers used in the original Heil Talk Box. I went through a few drivers before arriving at this choice.
                            John R. Frondelli
                            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I used the funnel approach. I didn't like the results. A horn driver is superior in my opinion.

jamie

Comment

Working...
                              X