Google Les Paul tribute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Les Paul tribute

Google did a nice job today, take a look.

Unfortunatly I missed that yesterday..but while I'm here does anyone know
    if there is/was a DVD of this ?

Les Paul - The Wizard of Waukesha (1980)

Les Paul "Wizard of Waukesha" Documentary Stray Cat Productions
    Stray Cat Productions Inc Keith Kaufman
    The Wizard of Waukesha
    Les Paul "and his band of renown" are shortened to simply the renowned Les Paul in this entertaining and informative documentary on one of the long-lasting talents in the music business. Excerpts from Les Paul's popular performances on radio in the 1930s highlight his quick rise to fame. His years with Fred Waring and recordings with his wife Mary Ford are balanced against his successes in designing electric guitars and one of his better-known inventions, the eight-track recording system. As urbane and versatile in person as his accomplishments suggest, Les Paul's own accounting of his past and snippets at the guitar round out this excellent documentary.
    genres Music
    sub-genres Biography
    countries USA
    released 1980
    run time 59 min.
    produced by Stray Cat
    AMG ID V 55022
    Directed by: Catherine Orentreich , Susan Brockman
    Producer Catherine Orentreich

Camera, Film & Tape
    Crew
    Danny Michael Sound/Sound Designer
    Don Lenzer Cinematographer
    Mark D.Obenhaus Cinematographer
    Edward Gray (II) Cinematographer
    Ron Yoshida Sound/Sound Designer
    Franklin Haber Sound/Sound Designer

Movie review
    From Time Out Film Guide

A straightforward documentary, enlivened by the charisma of its puckish subject, the guitarist Les Paul. It follows the life story of the one-time Broadway entertainer ('We died'), inventor of the electric guitar, and granddaddy of rock recording. Likeable Les will retain even the uncommitted viewer's attention, although the deadbeat rockers wheeled on to give an expert's opinion may have the opposite effect. Full of lovely pop media kitsch, and a genuine rags-to-riches story.
    (that "quote" is an assembly of info gleaned from the web)

There are some clips on youtube from it and a few unauthorized copies floating round but the audio ironically is not very good to say the least I presume an optical soundtrack (film).
    I gather it was made as a TV special and shown once in the States and once in the UK..
    I guess it was recorded "off air" to a mono non hifi VCR and recently dubbed
    to a home computer which would explain the quality.

I know there is this "American Masters" Les Paul: Chasing Sound (TV episode 2007) - IMDb which is a DVD" Les Paul: Chasing Sound " an American Masters TV series documentary from 1983
    which I havent seen but I presume it doesn't contain any of the "Wizard of Waukesha" footage.

I would have thought someone would have bought the rights and cleaned it up and re-released it ...maybe Mr Clapton could incorporate it into his Crossroads charity fundraiser or similar.

Well just thought I should point it out.

Some of the guests do seem to be a tad unusual Michael Bloomfield etc
    I thought the Time out review comment " Likeable Les will retain even the uncommitted viewer's attention, although the deadbeat rockers wheeled on to give an expert's opinion may have the opposite effect." amusing !

He has gone, but certainly won't be forgotten, the Man who made Music

May he rest in peace

Comment

Working...
    X