1976 Rhodes 88 Suitcase plays very quietly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Rhodes 88 Suitcase plays very quietly

The craigslist seller told me it plays great. I get it home and it is so quiet (volume on 10) it is barely playing. It DOES sound amplified (not just the bare tine noise). What is the first thing I should test, please, to figure out why it won't really amplify?

Thanks very very much.

Is this the 80W model (two rotary controls) or the 100W model (sliders)?

You might try taking the signal from the Ext. Amp (80W)/Preamp Out (100W) jacks and plugging it into a known-working amplifier to see what you get. That would help determine if the problem is in the preamp or the power amp modules.

The mono signal from the tines is split into stereo tremolo signals in the preamp, so if you have little sound coming from either pair of speakers, chances are that it's a bad transistor (80W) or integrated circuit (100W) in the preamp prior to the tremolo split OR something to do with the power supply, as these are the things common to both channels.

The 100W model is prone to bad solder joints on the PCB connectors on the power amp driver boards inside the base.

The 80W model has volume pots on each power amp module. It's conceivable that someone could have turned both of them down, but that would be a long shot.

And make sure there's no problem with the cable connecting the piano to the base. Test for continuity and wiggle the connectors.

Comment

Thanks so much! It is a 5-pin with sliders, so I think it is the 100 Watt.

I took the top off and lifted the top layer up a little and set it back down. Briefly, it played a little louder. Then I put the cover back on and it has gone even quieter than before. Jiggling the various connections doesn't seem to bring it back.

You have given me some very good leads.

Comment

I would suggest that you do all of the basic things that you should do with a 40 year old piece of equipment. Clean and tighten all plugs and connectors, check all electrolytic capacitors, check the power supplies, etc.

I just worked on an 80 watt that had 5 out of 6 signal caps in the preamp go bad, so I just recapped the entire thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          I just worked on an 80 watt that had 5 out of 6 signal caps in the preamp go bad, so I just recapped the entire thing.
          Bill--the ones in the white plastic jackets? All those get removed & replaced in any 80W preamp work I do because if they haven't failed yet, they will soon :-)

Comment

Yes, those white plastic Mallorys. I don't do much Rhodes stuff anymore, but they all seem to suffer from this same problem now that they are well past their prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy View Post
              The craigslist seller told me it plays great. I get it home and it is so quiet (volume on 10) it is barely playing. It DOES sound amplified (not just the bare tine noise). What is the first thing I should test, please, to figure out why it won't really amplify?

Thanks very very much.
              The pedal rack is stuck? The rack is loose, and slid away from the tines?
              The pickups are backed off too far from the tines?
              The wiring is touching the metal rack, and shorting out the audio? Look closely w/ a magnifier at each pick up connection.

You are brave. There is no parts for that thing. You will be making your own parts with a milling machine?

Comment

Working...
              X