No announcement yet.

Choosing the right speaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your going about this the wrong way. Have you played other guitars into this amp/speaker? I looked at the scorpions freq. range and it only goes to 4khz. which shouldn't be tinny. If the pickup isn't loaded correctly, it may be the pickup and not the speaker that's tinny.
    Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Spend once and spend well.
      Based on what you say, I'd go for an EVM15L.
      These I have heard and used a lot.
      In theory there is and almost exact equivalent in the Eminence range, probably will be very good also and somewhat less expensive (although not cheap by any means: huge magnets, precise machining and cast frames add up quickly)
      *These* I have not tested personally, and trust very little MP3 and YpuTubes through PC speakers, but I'm sure some other Friend from this Forum may have used them in that capacity and talk about them with more authority.
      What I can confirm beforehand is that you read the datasheets and go for the one which has the heaviest nagnet, 2 1/2" (63mm) voice coil and, very important, edgewound aluminum wire (probably on a Kapton base).
      Sensitivity will be very high, 100dB or above.
      You'll find them in the "Greek" series (alpha, beta, gamma, etc.), the higher the better.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Sorry to take so long in responding, Bill. This thread kind of got bumped off the radar.

I honestly can't offer any sort of opinion in response to the question you ask, because I simply don't know. My gut tells me, however, that any set of circumstances that offers bigger peaks is going to provide a greater challenge in nailing down how a speaker will typically sound with a given amp. In that respect, it isn't so much a question of SS-vs-tube. An 18w tube amp with a tube rectifier is going to be "spongier" than a 40w with a SS rectifier, or a 100W with a tube rectifier.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Yes, thanks. My experience is probably apples and oranges, not a true test.

Comment

Working...
          X