Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup bobbin dimensions

Hi all,

I am going to try winding some pickups for the first time. I have a question about the dimensions of the parts I have though as they don't seem to fit together right. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1672.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	864701Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1671.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	537.2 KB
ID:	864700

One of the pictures shows the spacing on the inside of the bobbin between the flatwork to be 7/16" as per STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for Single-coil Alnico 5 Magnet, but the other picture with the pickup cover on shows there is a gap between the pickup cover and the flatwork. Am I doing something wrong or is this how they are intended to fit?

Thanks,

Pete

Originally posted by magnetarous View Post
    Hi all,

I am going to try winding some pickups for the first time. I have a question about the dimensions of the parts I have though as they don't seem to fit together right. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15138[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15137[/ATTACH]

One of the pictures shows the spacing on the inside of the bobbin between the flatwork to be 7/16" as per STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for Single-coil Alnico 5 Magnet, but the other picture with the pickup cover on shows there is a gap between the pickup cover and the flatwork. Am I doing something wrong or is this how they are intended to fit?

Thanks,

Pete
    I build a lot of Single coils.
    A standard 60s, 70s Flatwork is 11mm between the flatwork.
    Your bottom piece is upside down to the way I assemble them.
    The Eyelets are flush on one side flat with the flatwork.
    The other side are the eyelets.
    I put the eyelets on the bottom, that makes it much easier to wind.
    That way there is nothing to snag the wire on.
    If the eyelets are too long I grind them flush on the Flaring side.
    I use the Mojo flatwork, and the eyelets don't protrude through the flatwork.
    Make your flatwork as flat and true as possible.
    Then I spray a heavy coat of Krylon Clear on the hole finished bobbin.
    You want a little gap on the bottom, that keeps the Cover from rubbing the 42 gauge wire on the bottom.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    Last edited by big_teee; 08-26-2011, 05:24 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Also I would Check out the Beginners Corner on the Pickup Forum.
      Some very usefull handwinding stuff there.
      B_T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks for your reply big_teee.

Why do you paint the bobbin?

-Pete

Comment

Thanks for your reply big_teee.

Why do you paint the bobbin?

-Pete
          Hi Pete:
          I Clear Laquer the bobbins.
          It does a couple of things.
          It helps protect the magnets from sweat, and from shorting out the first layer of wire to the magnets.
          The Other reason is to Lock the Fiber Flatwork to the magnets.
          I wind fairly tight and that helps keep the flatwork from creeping off the end magnets.
          I let the lacquer dry, then I super glue the insides of the end magnets only.
          I wipe the glue before it dries.
          That also helps keep everything put.
          Then I put a one thin layer of scotch tape, or Waxed floral tape over the magnets, then wind over that.
          If you don't really protect the magnets, Most of the time you can count on the wire shorting to the magnets.
          Especially if your using rough cast magnets.
          It's a fun hobby, and with some practice you can make then sound as good as the old fender Pickups.
          Varying your tension and scatter or Turns per Layer will change the tone.
          I mainly wind the 70s type Grey Bottom pickups.
          Another thing if you will keep the neck Pickup around 5.8k it will have more of that vintage sound.
          Hotter than 5.9k and it sounds too modern.
          Also for vintage sound you need a .1uf Cap and 250K Pots.

Good Luck,
          Terry
          Last edited by big_teee; 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM.
          Terry

Comment

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the pro tips. I am surprised that 100 ohms can have that much of an effect on tone!

Comment

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the pro tips. I am surprised that 100 ohms can have that much of an effect on tone!
              Those are Just IMOs. lol
              Just wind them all kind of ways and you will come up with your likes.
              T
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X