RRM2-80 Randall amp troubleshooting help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRM2-80 Randall amp troubleshooting help needed

Hi I have an SR&D (Scholz) Randall RRM2-80 amp that is causing me some grief. It is from the late 80's. When I bought used it worked great. I noticed the ground pin had been removed from the plug so I decided to solder in a replacement cord, hardwired. The amp bgan to have a 60Hz hum. Before it was wisper quiet. I have tested by using aground lift adapter and also by reversing line and neutral. The replacement cable is European, has brown and blue wires, 16awg tough. I was wondering if this wire might be different from NA, other than the colour, but I don't think so. Attached is a schematic if anyone can help? Thanks.
    Tim
    Attached Files

Does it hum with nothing attached to its input?
    What are you driving it with?
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Did the amplifier "hum" before you replaced the line cord?
      If not, then you must go back & check your work.
      If it did, then the post is misleading.

Comment

The hum is there even if there is no input connected. The hum began after I replaced the cord. I couldn't imagine a 18awg European colour power cord would create hum. Brown goes to line(blk), Blue goes to neu(wht), grn to ground. Just for the sake of it, I'll ohm out the cord to check the resistance.

Checked it out noticed hot was rapped around neautral, so I desoldered, straightened out the wires and presto, no hum. Holy shit I'm happy. Thanks guys.

Tim

Comment

Working...
        X