way to filter120 hz in ac line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• way to filter120 hz in ac line?

This is not to far off topic but here goes. I noticed when I connect my 12v 1 watt solar panel to my meter which reads hz it picks up 120 hz from my ceiling light, anywhere in the room where there is light. If I block the light shinning on the solar panel then the meter reading goes back to no hz reading. What I wanted to do was make some kind of filter to use on a room light that would stop it from pulsating at 120 hz. I bought one of those fluorescent full spectrum lights thinking it might not have the 120 hz coming from the light but it does as well. I bought a corn led light but it too puts the 120 hz everywhere in the room where the light is. What would i need to connect between the ac socket and the light that would stop the light from emitting 120 hz? I know 12v light from a car battery will remove the 120 hz but I want to use the ac socket. Ive been reading about a full wave rectifier but not sure this would remove it completely.

There is no way to make the flourescents stop blinking, they run on AC. The color of the light won;t affect that. Your eye may not see it, but it is there.

Perhaps you can tell us why this is a problem? If your solar panel is used to charge something, it shouldn;t matter. If you are using it as a direct powr source for some circuit, then just treat the solar panel output as an AC source. rectify it and filter it.

DOn;t try to change the world for the solar panel, change the solar panel to fit the worl it finds itelf in - the world of AC lighting.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

From personal research I have done and read about over the years I believe the 120hz flicker is not healthy for the human body which science is proving is very sensitive in so many ways to light. This is why I wanted to try making a light run on the ac, even if I eventually have to convert it to dc,,to remove the 120 hz flicker coming from the light. The solar panel was just used as a measuring device which registered the flicker or hz when the meter is set to hz reading. Would be nice if they made a flicker free ac light bulb, prob be healthier for us all. Thanks for your reply!

Comment

Oh I see. I thought you were concerned about the solar panel, but it was just your detector.

FLourescents are just giant strobe lights with glowing phosphor. You can't run them from DC. LEDs can run on DC of course, though I am not sure what all is inside a commercial screw-in LED "bulb." One could make a glowing panel of LEDs. Imagine a large matric of them all lit at once. Think like a large screen LED HD TV set on a plain white screen lit bright. Or one of those TV-like display signs we see on more and more billboards along the road. A ceiling made of that would light a room just fine.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The screw in LED bulbs use a built in circuit that pulses the LED. The short high current pulses give overall more light output than lower current steady DC without burning out the LED. For totally flicker free light you would need a light source that runs on pure DC. That could be an LED or incandescent bulb. The overall energy used for a given light output would be inefficient. You could also use incandescent bulbs powered from the AC line and there would be much less flicker because the filament would not dim much during the AC dip in voltage. What flicker remains would be 60Hz (or 50Hz if you are in one of the countries that uses 50Hz) and may not be bad for your body.
          Cheers,
          Tom

Comment

Ive tried incandescent bulbs as well they to register a 120hz everywhere in the room, well everywhere the light is anyway lol.

Comment

Yes. The flicker is still there. Just less than florescent bulbs. You still have the following options:
              1) Power incandescent bulbs or LEDs (Without the pulsing driver circuit) from pure DC.
              2) Use an burning flame device.
              3) Use battery powered rechargeable camping lanterns.
              4) Incandescent bulbs mounted in pairs with each connected to 180 degree out of phase AC

The issue is that you will still be exposed to lots of pulsating lights as you go about your daily life. Plus multiple sources of electromagnetic radiation.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                The issue is that you will still be exposed to lots of pulsating lights as you go about your daily life. Plus multiple sources of electromagnetic radiation.
                Wheee!

Comment

Radio and TV broadcasts flowing right through me!

Comment

Originally posted by stevensrd1 View Post
                    From personal research I have done and read about over the years I believe the 120hz flicker is not healthy for the human body
                    You have... um... picked an unfortunate time in human history to exist. Just about any time previous to the last 100 years or so would have been optimal. If it isn't a battery powered incandescent flashlight, sunlight, or fire, it probably has some flicker. FORGET about watching TV, movies, or being in front of a computer screen! Personally I just don't like the discontinuous spectrum of light from most fluorescents. They've gotten better though.

Comment

Just think, if it is bad for humans, it is also bad for bugs and microbes...the main cause of death long before any accident or old age did in people throughout history.

What science claims a mild flicker is bad for human health? Humans live far longer and healthier lives since light bulbs started flickering so logic would suggest that adding flickering lights would promote human health.
                      Be cautious of claims in the alternative health field which preys on the less scientifically literate among us. Don't just read articles, read the peer reviewed studies and methodology that the article quotes.
                      Since you have lived your entire life in RF and magnetic fields, flickering light and survived this long, do you have reason to fear these ubiquitous elements of the period of the greatest human life expectancy in history?
                      You are already bucking the natural odds by being alive today, 200 years ago, your odds of not being alive past age 5 was 60-70%. Infection was the main killer of humans for millions of years until very recently. Old age or retirement were not a concern only 100 years ago.
                      Seriously....

Comment

You mean those copper magnets in my shoes are not helping my bunions?

Comment

Actually they do, they lighten your weight....of your wallet....which helps all joints and foot issues.

I lived for decades in a community in California where much of the new age junk philosophy and science got its start. When i had my shop it was common for people to demand that no chemicals be used in repairs, and who got a city ordinance passed that made wearing scents or perfume in public places to be classed as "assault" due to the number of people who felt they were being harmed by other people bringing chemicals into their personal environment.
                          I avoided such people but it was hard to when the majority had such bizarre notions and opinions. I tell friends here about the weird preoccupation with junk science and health fades back in the US and they think I am joking. Luckily for most of the new agers there in Marin County, they never had to deal with real life since so many were trust-fund babies and never had to deal with unpleasantries of jobs or bills since the trustees would handle all life's requirements such as paying the electric bill. They are not students of history so do not know that they needed to have some element of competency in the past to survive and that no belief in auras and crystals would have kept them alive. The very science and practical competency they disdain so much are what has allowed to them to live without knowing ANYTHING. A little over 50% of the US population is that incompetent in living, many of those are "well-educated" as the term is used so loosely in the west.

Comment

I had a cord the other day that had this label on it.
                            "WARNING
                            Wash hands after handling this product.
                            California Safety Agency considers the chemicals in this product a danger to the public".
                            Or some such wording.
                            Excuse me, I'll be right back, I have to go wash my hands.

Comment

Oh I love that stuff.

A package of eggs with the message: WARNING, contains eggs.

Comment

Working...
                              X