Tube Crossover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Crossover

Anyone built or heard a tube crossover in use? I guess I'd just love to have a tube crossover.

These could sound awesome in practice. But surely one could be made much simpler (this isn't a preamp) than the attached. Most active subs have a crossover built in so designing one these might be redundant. If not add a coil(s) or a bleed-to-ground cap (say .01) for the sub line.
    So with one a half tube:
    Mids: wean the cap up to .01uF — .0022uF and ground highs with same value as treble cap, say 680pF.
    Highs: output cap is 680pF.

It might be nice to switch over two caps for three shelf options to help with the slopes and speaker/tweeter matching.
    I know this is far from Linkwi†z and co. but it gets the idea rolling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover  tube 2-way 350hz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	864848

I'm not sure I understand the Q.?. Crossover circuits (as "I" know them) are passive devices. Active devives would constitute separate frequency adjusted amplifiers. Which is a different thing in my mind.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Something like this quickly drawn schematic, simple makes it more likely to see completion/action. (sorry about the switch symbols — just finished a satire paper`)

Edit: I think all those caps may be too big.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover for mids n highs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	823237

Comment

Active crossover, like we would use in a PA system. Yes, separate power amps and drivers for each crossed over freq band.

I don;t know what advantage tubes would give for that, other than making a project to do.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That schematic looks a lot like a guitar/bass preamp design I drew up a long time ago and never got a chance to build. I was thinking along the lines of the Versatone amp, which I've never seen in person, but just know by principle, to drive two separate tube power amps into a cab loaded with low and mid/high-frequency (cone) drivers.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

V2B's plate coupling cap is missing the value label. It's probably a 100nF, just a wild guess.
            Valvulados

Comment

I don´t see any intrinsic advantage in using tubes there, quite the contrary.
              Op Amps are *much* closer to the "ideal gain blocks" which are implied when figuring the (complex) math used in designing them.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Marchand Electronics has a line of active electronic crossovers including a tube driven one.You might want to check out their website for general information.

Comment

Working...
                X