XLR mic 2 channel switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLR mic 2 channel switch

Can anyone help? I am looking for a foot switch that will transfer 2 XLR mic inputs to the opposite 2 XLR output channels. Therefore, input line1 to output channel A & input line2 to output channel B. when switched line1 to channel B & line2 to channel A. Is there such a box?

no, but you could build one.

Comment

What would be your application for this device?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I am in a duo and we use a vocal harmoniser. Therefore, when I am singing lead my partners mic goes through the harmoniser. However, when he sings lead my mic needs to switch & go through the harmoniser.

Comment

I would if I new how or had a circuit diagram. Can you help me? I would be most grateful.

Comment

To avoid possible clicks, noises and ground problems, rather than switching the feeble mic signal I'd rather plug them straight into the proper mixer channels and switch channel effect assign jacks *or* have the PA operator add the effect to the proper channel when necessary (it´s part of his job) *or* buy a second harmonizer and have each singer activate its own at will.
            What kind of PA are you using?.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

We don't have a PA operator. We are using the Bose L1 model 2 system with T1 Tonematch & 2 B1 bass module.

Comment

WOW !!
                Talk about modern !!
                Well, Bose can be always counted on to be at the cutting edge of technology.
                But the very advanced concept PA system forces you to live within its limits.
                I would *never* suggest you to even open it, so that´s forgotten.
                Switching feeble signals, even more going from balanced low level to unbalanced high level, etc. , *can* be made, but the system will be complex (if done well) and probably approaching the whole system cost.
                Just Google "Peter Cornish", he's the man who built a career designing and building complex audio switching systems ... but his clients include Pink Floyd and similar artists, go figure.
                Sorry but I don´t see areasonably easy solution for your problem, unless somebody builds and sells one similar system.
                For a one-off, it would be prohibitive.
                Probably getting a second Harmonizer might be the easier cheaper solution.
                Can you link some info on your Harmonizer?
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Actually this is a pretty easy task that can be handled by clickless/popless analog multiplexers like the Maxim MAX4908 3:1 two channel multiplexer IC. It would be best to have the mic signals go through at least a little pre-amplification but it is not essential to keeping the clicks and pops below audibility.

Comment

You know what I think would be the easiest solution, swap mics! I'd walk from one side of a stage to another for $50 or whatever it'll cost to build this box.

If you're using condenser mics with 48V phantom power, the switching could get non-trivial fast.
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

even I can be wrong once in a while
                      Sescom Sescom SES-XLR-AB Balanced Audio Pro Grade XLR A/B Passive Switch Patchadaps at Markertek.com

Comment

Nice.
                        Still far from what´s needed.
                        Not criticizing you, SGM, just that this apparently trivial problem is a can of worms.

Did anybody draw the full switching matrix needed ?
                        Actual component suggestions may be added later, but we must be aware of signal type (bal/unbal) , signal levels (mic/line), whether signal amplification or attenuation is needed or not, grounding, etc.
                        Not forgetting Steve´s mention of possible phantom powering.
                        Plus the whole enchilada should be enclosed somewhere and powered somehow.

Remember:
                        1) each microphone must be switchable between the XLR PA input or the (presumably XLR) Harmonizer input.
                        2) this must be done in sync but out of phase, so when one mic is processed, the other goes straight (dry)
                        3) the Harmonizer has (presumably) a line level unbalanced out.
                        4) said Line out must be switchable between both PA input channels.
                        5) *Most* PA input channels can run either Mic or Line inputs, but not both at the same time.
                        Usually plugging something in the Line In jack, kills the corresponding balanced input.
                        This must be addressed somehow.
                        6) the list goes on and on. Can of worms.
                        7) we still don't know which Harmonizer will be used, much less its specs.
                        Etc. Etc.

Steve's lateral thinking solution is elegant, not forgetting that with some creativity it can be integrated into the Show's choreography . Cool.
                        Lateral thinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Juan, I think you are looking for problems that do not exist, and did not consider that a multiplexer handles the line reversals just fine with a very simple logic steering, one control line. It is certainly doable, and even trivial if there are direct channel outs, or if more than one aux returns and sends, either way, and without having to remember which mic is in hand at any given moment.

The question was how to do it with a circuit. Answers were given that are relevant. But the problem is probably not best solved...if it IS a problem, by hardware changes. A competent mixer with subgroups, clickless muting, maybe with direct outs or some spare aux buses can already do what is requested.

Unfortunately little is known about the features of the gear being used, there is a good chance if there are free subgroups or auxs, nothing more than a mute button is needed to be pressed to switch the effect to the opposite mic. Overall, however, it seems like a poor way of handing stage craft, when hardware sets up a less than conventional use of the signal paths are hard wired it limits at least one channel to a range of use. A better solution probably involves figuring out why the OP thinks this is a performance solution at all. What is being asked of the gear is something that normally would be handled by the board operator without any hardware.

Comment

Each singer could use two mics, one to the harmonizer, one not.Assuming the harmonizer has just one mic/lin input like the Vocalist Live 3 that I use, then some type of mixer is would be needed btwn the mics and the harmonizer. This could be a separate unit or an Aux from your main mixer.
                            Last edited by Billy R aka DynaFreak; 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I like Steve's "just swap mics" answer. SImple, requires NO additional parts, nothing to break, no extra connectors.

As a project, I am an old schooler, so immediately a couple 4053s or something come to mind.

it's just a router.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X