Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vox super continental power but no (really really low) output

Hi guys,
    got a vox super continental, old and pretty rough but worked...until someone pull the ac chord out along with the guts from the power supply. sparks and all.
    Re-built the power supply but didn't replace the ASZ18 transistor as exact voltages were all present at the right places...
    hooked up to and amp I get a very quiet signal, amp on max volume, barely hear a signal.
    I'm not a pro with transistors so can anyone tell me if this ASZ18 would be the problem...I know this has an obvious answer.."try it", they're just hard to find.. AND I'm getting the correct voltages..thanks for any and all suggestions

Where is the ASZ18 located in the circuit? If you can hear all of the organ tones and all of the other features work but the output is low, I'd look for a broken wire or a bad coupling cap in the output section that comes after the drawbars. Trace the wiring from the output jack backwards to the drawbars and see what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      Where is the ASZ18 located in the circuit? If you can hear all of the organ tones and all of the other features work but the output is low, I'd look for a broken wire or a bad coupling cap in the output section that comes after the drawbars. Trace the wiring from the output jack backwards to the drawbars and see what you find.
      Thanks 52 Bill, the ASZ18 is in the power supply box and is fed by the rectifier, -16v , and supplies -8v. I will trace the path as you suggest...I really appreciate you getting back to me, fresh perspective and all that. Thanks.

Comment

If the transistor is part of the voltage regulator and the voltages are all okay, then I wouldn't worry about it. Check the audio circuits at the output stage.

Comment

yes it is,great, that's what I thought. I've been tracing and just re-heating all the solder joints as I go. the two pre-amps are also on the suspect list. they are switchable, identical boards, I replaced the elctro caps (polarities correct) ...aah, I'll plug on and give you the good news, hopefully.

Comment

A little delayed with other projects, so I now have full sound. both pre amps are now working, all sounds etc but when I plug in the vibrato board I lose the "c" note and gain a high pitch in it's place...when I turn on the vibrato, the "c" (only) makes an "alien phaser gun" style sound effect. Assuming there are aliens and they carry phase guns...the good news is at least the vibrato is making some sort of wabbling effect...I have checked and double checked the board against the schematic (though the original schematic does have a minor error with a reversed 10uf cap and goodness knows what else)
            The vibrato signal runs parallel to each tone board, so I feel the "c" tone board is ok. the return goes to the same contact on the pre amp that sends to the input jack...it all seems right, but obviously not.
            Any light or suggestions would be appreciated...I have installed new pots for depth and rate, new 1uf caps, 1kuf, 22uf, 10uf x2, new transistors and the resistors bar 1 all measured comfortably. That is all there is to the board. I have voltages, grounding, continuity, fluctuating voltage when on....

Comment

If you remove the C board, does the vibrato work on the rest of the notes? If you swap the C board with say the E board does the problem stay with the C board or with the C keys?

Comment

Working...
              X