No announcement yet.

Creepy ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By god, I hooked up the switch unit, and it WORKS.

Not perfect, I have a wireless USB mouse, so I plugged the little receiver plug into the switch. COmputer 1 worked. Then switched over to computer 2. At first it didn;t see the mouse, I think something about it wasn;t present at power up. I don't know. But after a moment it started reading it and the system worked. I started file maintenance,and computer 1 went to sleep. I pressed the button for #1, and moved the mouse to wake it up. No response. A tap on the computer power button woke it up and it reads the mouse, but somehow it can't read the mouse from a sleeping state through the switch. I will come up with a low tech solution.

Gonz, first thing I did was burn a set of recovery discs. I try to keep my schematic files and such backed up off the computer.

The new computer has MahJong. How about that?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

A sign of who rules the World now.
      Just in case, I'm learning Chinese.
      I'm not joking.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Geez, I thought MahJong was mainly something Jewish ladies play in New York.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Speaking of creepy ads.....I notice few ads, I am immune to them, and have not seen TV for years, except for an odd football(Soccer for US readers) game on while visiting a pub for a pint or two. But tonight, I searched for a cheap hotel around Heathrow because I have a 18 hour layover in London. I found several early in the day which were cheap but did not bother booking until tonight. When I did, all the deals earlier in the day were gone, so I ended up with a nice Ramada Inn for not too much over $100 plus taxes. An hour later, I am viewing posts on this forum and all I see at the top are ads deals for London Hotels, even posted cheaper come-on prices by the same booking site. Now, it is possible to track a persons every move, purchase, location minute by minute. The only way to get some privacy is get rid of the cell phone, computer, internet and stay away from windows or outdoors so Google's cameras can't spot you.
          I'll be back in the US Tuesday for 25 days than on to England and Scotland before getting "home" to St Petersburg where the fun is.

Comment

It makes you remind lovingly the good old Cheka and KGB days, doesn't it?
            At least, way back then, they only had the manpower to spy on a few thousand choice political enemies or whatever.
            Now even your pet is controlled in the Matrix, either directly with its own little chip (which you ordered as a "safety" measure"), or indirectly through you, by monitoring your activities related to it (pet food/accessories purchases, pet health questions / even its own picture posted by you in Facebook).
            John Connor, please save us!!!
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              It makes you remind lovingly the good old Cheka and KGB days, doesn't it?
              At least, way back then, they only had the manpower to spy on a few thousand choice political enemies or whatever.
              Now even your pet is controlled in the Matrix, either directly with its own little chip (which you ordered as a "safety" measure"), or indirectly through you, by monitoring your activities related to it (pet food/accessories purchases, pet health questions / even its own picture posted by you in Facebook).
              John Connor, please save us!!!

Comment

Oh, John CONNOR.

WHen I first read that, I saw in my mind John Carter - they have been advertising that movie on TV a lot. I was trying to figure out how it related.

Comment

It is truly scary to contemplate, but governments, organized crime, and computers mutually reinforce the worst parts of each other. I suspect that there are some unknown natural laws hiding behind that.
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

You probably want to listen to the podcast from this delightful little CBC Radio show on marketing and advertising: Hyper-Targeting | Under The Influence with Terry O'Reilly | CBC Radio

Not exactly the most encouraging bit of information.

Comment

Yeah me too!
                      BTW, were you able to find Adobe Ver9 for free anywhere...where? thanx, glen

Comment

Adobe *what* 9?
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
                          Yeah me too!
                          BTW, were you able to find Adobe Ver9 for free anywhere...where? thanx, glen
                          Try this
                          Download Acrobat Reader for Windows | Old Version.com

Acrobat Reader 9.0 Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows xp / Windows 2000 33.5 MB

if thats what you meant

This may be useful
                          10 Websites To Download Older Versions Of Software
                          http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-webs...ions-software/

Had to laugh.. in my search got this add....Customised Aluminium Windows &*Doors. Free Quotes. Melbourne.
                          Last edited by oc disorder; 05-04-2012, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Thanx, that's very helpful...most of the updates for things like microsoft office just take up more room because they can & give you a bunch of junk you just will never use besides the fact that you have to relearn where everything is every time they change it...

The newest not always the bestest ;-] thanx, glen

Comment

I've just downgraded from Firefox 12 to 9.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X