Hanging up the soldering iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
    Working to to a repair to a power supply of a $3M MIR machine, might take the same skill and effort as working on a kid's Peavey amp but there is an order or two in difference in what the payer thinks the repair is worth.
    indeed!

being a server/waiter/waitress in a fancy restaurant is pretty much the same as working in a cheap diner, but the tips sure are a hell of a lot better!

Comment

Fully agree.
      I already mentioned a friend who repairs big 4 color rotative magazine presses .
      Think U$3M (funny but it roughly matches km6's machines prices) 40 to 60 yard long series of machines , where a *big* (car size) roll of paper gets on one end and colour magazines by the ton drop out of the other.
      The Company loses, what? , u$40K to 60K an hour if the system stops?
      Not to mention legal problems with customers, etc.
      Do you think they bark at my friend's U$5K per hour invoices?
      They rather prefer he charges U$10K and takes half the time.
      Well, in fact the bean counter there *does* bark, it's his job, but next week or month they call him again, go figure.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by cjlectronics View Post
        Even when I retire, I plan on working on musical equipment until I can't move or think anymore.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Even then you'd probably still do a better job than some of the Internet gurus we've seen recently.

Mark and Sowhat: somewhere I have an Encyclopedia Britannica 1986 yearbook signed by Carl Sagan. Don't ask me why it's not a copy of Cosmos.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Or a copy of Cosmo signed by Helen Gurley Brown.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X