• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out Les Paul's stuff, auctioned soon

Great to see Les smiling face on many pages, the guy had a TON of stuff

Les Paul Auction Catalog

check the guitar on p 151, and 384

you can buy bushel baskets of tubes, and picks, his favored turtle necks! His credit cards, heck even his SS card!

He must have had lots of space and he sure liked to keep it all.
    Very interesting auction house suggested pricing. They seem to be lacking expert advice for many lots but I know it will all get equalized out in the actual auction.
    In a way it is sad to see someones stuff being displayed for sale. I wonder who arranged for all the photos with Les Paul with the guitars in the same pose & same setting. And why? Maybe he was planning on a sale before he passed.

Comment

That's a gold mine of musical history. A LOT of that stuff belongs in the Smithsonian, the R&R Hall of Fame, etc.

Wish I had some money to buy a lot of it. Some very interesting things in there.

Brad1

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
        He must have had lots of space and he sure liked to keep it all.
        Very interesting auction house suggested pricing. They seem to be lacking expert advice for many lots but I know it will all get equalized out in the actual auction.
        In a way it is sad to see someones stuff being displayed for sale. I wonder who arranged for all the photos with Les Paul with the guitars in the same pose & same setting. And why? Maybe he was planning on a sale before he passed.
        Near the end Les and his heirs undoubtedly realized there was more stuff than $ and tried to set up a stuff->money transformation which should come to fruition around June 11th. And some amazing historical items will be scattered to the four winds!

They must have had old Les sitting there for hours successively cradling the multitude of intermediate guitars he'd stockpiled over the years, each photo punctuated with his sweet delicate smile...

Comment

They are more than a bit vague in descriptions of some of the items...

Anyone recognise this... or more specifically the bottom part of it?

I know that the head is a Gibson LP-1 preamp and that the bottom part is a powered cabinet required by the preamp head but the cab most definitely isn't LP-2 that was often paired to the unit - or even any other Gibson powered cab from the era.

Looks more like an Ampeg to me, but doesn't really look like any of their powered cabs either when you look at it more closely.

I highly doubt that it would be a Gibson prototype because of entirely different style, tolex and grille cloth than what was used in Gibson cabs of the era and it looks way too professionally built to be a DIY job. The auction description naturally gives no clues whatsoever and this is pretty much the only high detail photo of the specific part of the rig so...

Anyone?

Comment

I keep saying that I would have loved to have been able to buy a 3-DVD set of Les walking through his basement/storage-area, pointing to things and telling you all about it, what it was used for, and so on. I suspect it would have likely fetched more moey for some of the things in the catalog too, knowing that such and such a piece of test equipment was part of the studio gear when recording "How High the Moon", or whatever. Otherwise, a lot of that non-guitar stuff just looks like the kind of junk you have to sift through at electronics surplus places.

Gotta say that what interests me the most are the assorted experimental/prototype guitars. Well, that, and the Mickey Mantle signed baseball. I mean, Les Paul AND Mickey Mantle? That's pretty much the brunt of the second half of the 20th century.
            Last edited by Mark Hammer; 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
              Yeah, $300-500 for a tray full of guitar picks seems mighty pricey, Whereas the same amount of green for a pile of vintage tubes seems way under what they will probably fetch

Comment

Working...
              X