Anyone recognise this socket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognise this socket ?

I haven't seen it in the flesh (maybe that should read "in the bakelite") I suspect it's some rogue socket someone had lying around in the 50's or 60's they mounted on this .
    It looks like a din type except for the pin/hole layout which is more like the Japanese CB mic configuration, although these would be modern by comparison.

The Japanese CB mic plug type are used for some power supply connectors for Mackie and Behringer small mixing desks.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

What is the mystery gear the mystery connector is mysteriously mounted on?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It is hard to see the details but does is have threads and is larger than the CB radio style connector? I looks like a 3 pin Tuchel connector used on older German mics. Another type that is similar was used on ElectroVoice mics in the 50s and 60s, a bit smaller than the Tuchel's.
      Tuchel made a wide range of connectors for audio and other uses, some on tube mics has vanes instead of pins but they also made various pin counts that was used round pins in round shells

Comment

The mysterious gear the mystery socket is mounted on is a meaningless manifestation, mockingly making misleading musings ,thus missing the main monologue made from the magnificent monograph...

Enzo it's a old slide guitar - friend of a distant friend routine .

I have asked for more details but I suspect Its one home made late 40's early 50's.

At the end of the war I gather there was quite an interest in Hawaiian music about the time the musical South Pacific was popular and many hotel entertainment lounges were done out like a South Pacific set.

I am aware for instance of a ex radio officer who build guitars and amplifiers and played in dance bands of the day that incorporated square dancing and Hawaiian style ballads.
        Back then if you had a noisy pot apparently soft pencil lead was shaved into powder and dropped into the offending pot as there were still shortages for a while after the war.
        Any left over or surplus components could have been used to make an instrument.

Km6xz I am not sure that it has threads.
        After absorbing your inquiry re the size and researching Tuchel through to Amphenol to WPI and now Cooper Interconnect , I now think its from the WPI 91 series that looks like a predecessor to XLR.
        One of the pins resides near the top slot !

The male plug would be a 91-MC3M from Allied for $31.91

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70144712

Thanks for your responses.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by oc disorder; 07-25-2012, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I bet a good thing you can do for your friend squared is to replace that connector by a modern one.
          After all, he does not seem to have the proper cable and male connector anyway.
          I found it funny that the female contacts are rated 3A and the male ones 5A.
          How could they measure that?
          After all they need to connect male to female anyway, and Kirchhoff Law says that current that gets into one end is the same as what comes out the other end.
          Oh well.
          Won't even waste time on the obvious "male to male connector" jokes.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well, I will. They can afford to carry more current because they're not going to have any kids.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

You know, all those years I spent in the bars and clubs, I was always looking to connect with a double female. never did... Had to adapt. Here's a TIP, they want a RING.

etc etc etc
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Wrong bars and clubs, I guess;>)

Comment

Truth is, these male to male connectors often suck
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yeah, I guess the old ones are the funniest.
                    I wondered how it looked so familiar - Ferrograph used 'em in their amps and recorders, and I was involved in the MOD long enough to almost know it as a kettle lead......
                    Dave.

Comment

Go to this link
                      "You-do-it" Electronics Page 54

Comment

Working...
                      X