Mackie TH-15A dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackie TH-15A dead

A buddy of mine just brought me a Mackie TH-15A that was dropped from a pickup truck when loading. It no longer powers up. Visual inspection doesn't show anything obvious. Before I dig in to it I just thought I would ask if there are common issues with this model? I'm familiar with troubleshooting smps and such. Just thought I would ask first. It was working before the fall which was a couple of feet at the most.

Common issues? It fell off a truck and quit working. Start at the start, something broke. Is mains voltage even getting to the SMPS?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Common issues? It fell off a truck and quit working. Start at the start, something broke. Is mains voltage even getting to the SMPS?
      Yeah Enzo, I know that. I was just asking if there was a weak point. I can see these being bounced around a lot and maybe there was a common issue that you guys that have seen a few have noticed. I'll start troubleshooting. Never hurts to ask. Thanks

Comment

Olddawg should meet an authorized Mackie dealer near Olddawg or connect one of Mackie dealers online.

Comment

"It fell off a truck and quit working."
          Maybe you should leave it dead. Maybe it's a sign.

Comment

So... I dug into this thing. My friend said he actually dropped it a foot on carpet. I found than mostly everything was working. The power supply, the power amp. I thought. This should be easy. I quickly found that I was wrong. Directly connected to the input xlr connector is a metal box. I could get some signal through it. Inside that metal box are 3 nested double sided boards. This thing has a 5 band digital eq. Those boards contained an a/d converter and a d/a converter with a 250 pin processor chip in between. You could not trouble shoot it without an expansion cable set. But really, a processor for a tone control. 3 double sided boards mounted to the chassis on top of each other by 1/4 inch steel stand offs and no sress relief? Anyway, I handed it back to my friend and told him to order a repackaged unit from some big box store, swap out the whole assembly, then return the repackaged unit as not working. I don't usually condone such behavior, but this pos was unsevicable. I would not recommend owning one. It seems Mackie could do better!

Comment

Working...
            X