Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symphonic record player won't spin, antique c43

Hello all,

I purchased an old record player for my wife and it was working fine but now it won't spin. I took it out from the massive stereo unit it was in (looks to be from 50's or 60's) I thought there might be a belt as most old record players have to spin the deck. Unfortunatley it looks as though it is a simple electronic motor making it spin. When I turn it on I hear the record player making noise but it won't spin. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Paul
    Attached Files

Originally posted by paul.marino View Post
    Hello all,

I purchased an old record player for my wife and it was working fine but now it won't spin. I took it out from the massive stereo unit it was in (looks to be from 50's or 60's) I thought there might be a belt as most old record players have to spin the deck. Unfortunatley it looks as though it is a simple electronic motor making it spin. When I turn it on I hear the record player making noise but it won't spin. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Paul
    From the looks of it, I doubt that it is belt drive, probably a more typical rubber idler wheel. You need to remove the platter to get access to the drive mechanism. Usually there is a C clip at the center spindle that holds the platter down.

Does the motor spin?

If the idler wheel slips the turntable won't spin. Sometimes cleaning it and the brass drive spindle that is on the motor shaft will fix it. Sometimes the rubber on the idler wheel hardens so much that it just slips. There are chemicals to rejuvenate rubber available, but if it's too far gone replacement will be the only real fix.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      From the looks of it, I doubt that it is belt drive, probably a more typical rubber idler wheel. You need to remove the platter to get access to the drive mechanism. Usually there is a C clip at the center spindle that holds the platter down.

Does the motor spin?

If the idler wheel slips the turntable won't spin. Sometimes cleaning it and the brass drive spindle that is on the motor shaft will fix it. Sometimes the rubber on the idler wheel hardens so much that it just slips. There are chemicals to rejuvenate rubber available, but if it's too far gone replacement will be the only real fix.
      Thank you very much for the help. I actually took the c clip off and cleaned the inside with an electronic cleaner. It is spinning again but I will probably need to look into that rejuvenate rubber cleaner because it looks really worn out. Thanks again.

Paul

Comment

Working...
      X