swr working man 300 blow fuse every time i power it on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swr working man 300 blow fuse every time i power it on

I replaced the internal fuse (8a) because it was blown, but now every time I turn it on, it blows the 5a fuse in the back. I have no idea what I might have done wrong, or what would cause it. The internal fuse goes directly form the power cable to the 5a fuse, so the only thing I can think it would be is my new 8a fuse. Any suggestions as to what is going on?
    Thank You

"The internal fuse goes directly form the power cable to the 5a fuse". If this is the case, then the 8A internal fuse is a backup fuse. It's purpose is to blow if someone replaces the 5A with a larger fuse or tin foil etc. This protects the amp from further damage.
    Your 8A fuse should not have blown, the correct type 5A should have blown.
    Now the repeated fuse blowing just means there is something wrong inside the amp.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I think the 8A is a speaker fuse, and the 5A is the mains fuse.

I suspect the output stage of your amp has blowm, meaning some shorted transistors. That put DC on the output which blew the speaker fuse at some point. But now when you power up the shorted transistors take out the mains fuse. Your amp needs to see an amp technician.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

To "amplify" what Enzo said, with a damaged output section and blown 8 amp fuse, do NOT connect a speaker or any load to the amp, the speaker will likely be more expensive to replace than repairing the power amplifier. Don't replace the 5amp fuse either, to escape the temptation to plug it in and trying it again. If you are tempted to turn it on again remember that more damage will occur each time you do, making it more expensive to repair.
        Take the amp to a tech who has experience on this amp, it will be less expensive and faster than finding someone without the experience who is willing to try repairing it.

Comment

Working...
        X