No announcement yet.

A weird one - amps and nausea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way of generating infrasonics in the 30's, except by specially making (and playing with) extra long organ pipes ... and Hitler didn't exactly make political speeches inside Cathedrals.
    His control of the masses came because he was an incredible speaker, told them exactly what they wanted to hear, in a very simplified way easily understood by anybody.
    Whether it had any contact with reality or not is something else.
    I personally knew people who studied in Germany in those days, were carried to public speeches by University mates, and ended crying, laughing, raving, like everybody else around.
    Not too different to what some exalted preachers accomplish, by the way.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      Plenty of forum members seem to feel sick and disoriented when working on Mesa Boogies.
      Speaking of disorienting, check out what Buckethead's mesas sound like when he forgets to turn on his fuzz...

7 Laws of Woo - Praxis Bonnaroo, Tenn 04 pro audio - YouTube

Comment

Ok Steve and Juan it appears I've been sucked in

"The belief that the Nazis developed sonic technologies appears to be largely unsubstantiated, part of a modern reflex to attribute sinister research or technology to the Nazis on no more grounds than that it is ‘the kind-of-thing-Nazi-scientists-would-do’… along with flying UFOs into the Hollow Earth."

I wish I could remember where I got it from but I promise to observe Godwins Law and not mention him again.

To crawl my way back to respectability I present an mention of Throbbing Gristle I presume some kinda revivalist religion....

"In 1978, the artist-industrial musician Monte Cazazza and the group Throbbing Gristle experimented in their East London studio with the creation of both ultrasound and infrasound frequencies. Cazazza remembers during infrasound tests using an industrial tone generator that the air began to shimmer and his clothes visibly “rippled under the waves.” The group’s ultrasound experiments were equally notorious; using an array of piezo-electric speakers (“because they were cheap” remembers Monte), they used frequencies in excess of 20,000Hz in a ‘sonic loop’, creating a continual, culminating wave. Their target was some troublesome neighbours; according to the group, the neighbours’ dogs began to bark and both people and animals exhibited aggressive irritability. Unsurprisingly, the unwanted neighbours moved shortly after the sonic attacks."

The above is from :- Sonic Weapons | Articles | Features | Fortean Times UK

Comment

Or:

Sonic weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tech: Sonic Weapon Makes Big Noise : Video : Discovery Channel

Hitler, Schmitler, we're doing it right here.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Not joking, I'm on the verge of building and deploying an ultrasonic weapon.
            I live in a Tourist place , which is a nightmare for "regular" people.
            I have 6 street Restaurants with Live Shows within 60 meters from my door, who fight each other with blaring speakers, trying to "pull" customers.
            And *everyday* I'm fighting people who mount stalls at my door, trying to sell anything, from Argentine Soccer Team T Shirts to handmade "jewelry" to Tango CDs to "Tango" hats o dancing shoes or clothes or whatever.
            Plus shooing away Tango dancing couples or accordion players or marching drum bands, the works.
            We got to a certain level of agreement with 5 of the earlier Restaurants about sound volume, plus having each one set up their speakers pointing *inside*, towards their own customers, but for the last 2 months a new Restaurant, just in front of me, breaks all unwritten rules (even other Restaurant managers hate them).
            One reason is it's run by an around 60 Y.O. lady, who *thinks* she's a real hottie ... and surely *must* have been so ... 20 years ago.
            Imagine Madonna 10 years from now, and you'll get an idea.
            No way she turns the sound down when she murders some songs, clad in semi-transparent shirts , very short skirts (my 17 y.o. daughter wouldn't use them), with fake waist-long blonde curls .
            So I'm thinking about making a 10 or 20 high Piezo column, pointing at her stage (12 meters from my window) and sawtooth sweep from, say, 15 to 25 KHz, every time she starts "singing".
            No, she won't hear it (nor will I ), but I bet soon everybody will associate her show with discomfort.
            Did I say they are open 24/7 , 365 days a year, from 10AM to 6 PM?
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The building where my dentist used to work used to oscillate at a very low frequency. Very large glass windows in front of the dentist chair, which had a great view BTW, acted like baffles. As I sat down for treatment I could feel it but the dentist could not. It made me sick to my stomach. There were immense air exhaust fans in the underground parking lot in that building, I think they had something to do with the strange constant vibration.
              Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Not joking, I'm on the verge of building and deploying an ultrasonic weapon.
                I live in a Tourist place , which is a nightmare for "regular" people.
                I work as the computer guy at a tourism agency and Buenos Aires is one of the best sellers. We get feedback from our customers and they say they love singing drunk serenades by a place with Tango couples and 5 restaurants, one of them run by a 60 year old hottie. Some customers reported this guy on a window yelling at them, saying something about a panic machine and loudspeakers and shoving MOSFETs up their ___es. Everything makes sense now.
                Valvulados

Comment

First half: roughly correct.
                  Second half: never yell at anybody, no need to, just talked to a friend at City Hall and *all 5* got fined $5000 each and closed for a week; with "two weeks and double fine next time" warning.
                  As I said, those are very careful now.
                  But this happened 1 year ago, and the new one is not yet 2 months old, so they don't really understand what's waiting for them.
                  In fact, I applied the "first warning" for them: a "City Public Space" crew came 1 month ago and grabbed all tables and chairs they had on the street.
                  But they don't believe I sent them, think it was just bad luck, and I don't want to call the "heavies" because all 5 others are behaving properly, and when they come, they will close *all 6*.

OK, back to electronics, I'll post the results of the ultrasonic "fly swatter".
                  I think 100W RMS into 6 to 12 *tuned* Piezos will be unbearable.
                  In fact, a friend uses a 6 meter high column of Piezos (raw cones, no horns) in his line array PA system with incredible results.
                  They were originally tuned to 12KHz but he had to add resistance both to lower Q and to attenuate them or they overpowered everything else.
                  Of course, *my* coil will have around 0.5 or 1 ohm or thereabouts
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Are you running it pushed?

It could be just too much high frequency harmonics at too loud volume levels. I know I get both ear-fatigued AND physically nauseated if I have to listen to a really "cricket-y" distortion tones for moderate periods of time. Even at moderately low volume levels. ...With those particular tones I don't even want to have cranked up amps in near vicinity, with speaker center beams hitting right at your ears with that buzzsaw treble.

That in mind, Vintage tube Fender amps really don't find the place in my category of magnificient cranked-amp tone.

Comment

Devious! Of course, the evil being perpetrated upon you is no less. In fact, reading post #20, I'm offended on many levels. Your doing all of human culture a service to discourage such things.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                      X