Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Hot Rod Deville not switching channels. HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod Deville not switching channels. HELP!!!

My Fender Hot Rod Deville is not switching out of the clean channel. Every now and then it will switch iver for a second (and the light comes on for that second), but it switches right back. I opened up the amp and the solders appear to be good to the channel selector button and channel indicator light.

There are 6 solders (2x3) coming off the channel button. The first two connect when the button is NOT pushed in and they do not pass a current when it is. I assume this is the bypass from the gain channel. From what i can tell, this looks like it is working how it should be.

I am unsure how to test the channel indicator LIGHT though. There are 3 solders on a row that connects it to the board and I dont get a reading to or from any of them when i test each off the solders with one tester on them and one tester on the button solders.

Does this sound like a bad light? Is there another way I can test it? If its not the light, what else could it be???

Im terrible reading/ following schematics and this one isn't real easy either... Help!!!

Thank you!

Check the big power resistors for the +16 & -16 volt supplies.
    They are known to get real hot & work there way loose.

Comment

Yea, already replaced those with better quality ines and soldered them tight. Still not wotking. Im not sure im checking the LED correct and ive heard they are sometimes the reason. Any clues on how to test these LEDs?

Comment

If your meter has a diode check function I suppose you could try that.
        I fixed one with Enzo's help that had one side of the bi-color LED blown.If the LED is defective, these amps wont switch. The LED is part of the switching circuit, not just an indicator lamp.
        I confirmed the LED was blown by subbing a cheap bi-color LED.This will work fine but if you want the square one that fits the amp those are harder to source.I found one here:

Fender Amp Parts

It cost $5.00 plus shipping (rather steep) but it is the exact replacement part and the service is fast so no complaint here.

SG

Comment

Working...
        X