Droppler Chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droppler Chain?

I don't know exactly where to post this but here it is none the less...

I had a customer bring me a transformer out of some scrap hi-fi and wanted me to figure out what all the wires were and the associated voltages, currents and overall VA. The transformer wound up being a Sansui 5234S used in a 1970's vintage Sansui model 1000A receiver. It was pretty easy to figure out what was what with the transformer because the service manual was readily available on the web.

One thing that puzzles me however is in some circuit descriptions associated with the transformer. The B+ off it is 190VAC and is connected to... (these are their words) "to full wave doubler" which is a Bridge type voltage doubler or (if memory serves me correct) a Delon voltage doubler. This can plainly be seen in the schematic. It's the next part of the description that has me puzzled however and that is: "with droppler chain for lower voltages". I can clearly see from the schematic that there are indeed various voltage dividers and dropping resistors coming off the main B+ to derive these voltages as you all would expect.

It's the term "droppler" that has me scratching my head. I have done a search for this term and come up with nothing. Is this some long lost terminology or something I missed while daydreaming in college, or is it just something unique to Sansui? ... is this a term we should bring back to common usage, I've never seen it before, but it sounds cool.
    ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Can you post the schematic?
    I seriously think 'droppler' is Jinglish (Japanese English) for 'dropper'.

Comment

I pulled one of these apart and made a neat hi-fi from the salvaged transformers. They're pretty good quality and it made a stereo SE amp running switchable pentode/triode strapped 6L6s driven from SRPP connected 12AX7s.

Got a picture somewhere.

I too think it's a typo; p is next to l on the keyboard.

Comment

I think it's just one more example of:

or

here, *pray* this is a typo:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Here's the picture of the amp. The PT heater winding wasn't enough to supply the 6L6s, so there's a separate transformer for those. The top looks scuffed but it's a reflection off the tubes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0295 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	829551

Comment

Hey !!!
            NICE build !!!
            Looks very Audiophile !!!

Any gut shots?
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
              Can you post the schematic?
              I seriously think 'droppler' is Jinglish (Japanese English) for 'dropper'.

Here's my analysis diagram for my customer which was derived from the schematic and other sources of data...

Click image for larger version

Name:	droppler.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	829553

The service manual is a .pdf and I don't know how to attache one of these to this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sowhat View Post
                The service manual is a .pdf and I don't know how to attache one of these to this forum.
                Here is how:
                Click on these windows

-Go Advanced
                -Manage Attachments (this opens as a new window)
                -Browse (to where you have the file on your hard drive)
                -Upload File.
                -When file pops up at lower left, close this window
                -Submit Reply

Comment

Any gut shots?
                  I'll remove the base later on today. I needed to do this as I wanted to trace the circuit as my design notes got cleared out.

Comment

Sansui manual

Got it, heres the Sansui manual.
                    Attached Files

Comment

And the other way to post would be to just put up the link to wherever you found it online.

I also vote droppler is simply an amusing bit of "Engrish."

We have a little three ring binder in the shop. At one time I made it up as a bench reference collection, each bench had one. Just pages of useful stuff like basic transistor specs, JFET types, EV and Yamaha diaphragms. Various conversion and standards. Whatever.

But somewhere in a Yamaha Clavinova manual, the opening page of one section was printed in large letters,

"PARTS RIST"

We found this hugely amusing, and so I copied the page and it is now the cover of each of these shop binders.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Comment

FWIW and to see how the shoe fits on the other foot, I have a nice black (US made) T Shirt with some large Kanji characters silkscreened front and back.
                          To boot, in white and red ink. Real bold.

Whenever I go shoppping to some of the Chinese Supermarkets which are flooding us, Chinese owners cover their mouths to hide smiles or plain laughter (they are very polite) and look at each other with amusement on their faces.

I have *never ever* been able to get a translation.

Worst of all, my Son speaks (and writes) perfect Japanese, and most of the Kanji symbols mean the same or close, but he told me: "I can't find those in any dictionary, it's "pure Chinese", not used in Japan"

Some day I'll post a picture, maybe somebody understands.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I have a bunch of electronic projects from Japanese magazines and books that I scanned. One of them is a project for a "Franger". My guess is that there is a different word for it in Japanese, or else the copy editor didn't know what the effect was called, asked a co-worker, and the co-worker pronounced it the only way their mouth would let them.

Comment

It's not so much that the Japanese can't pronounce the L and R sounds. The phonetic alphabets they would use for writing words borrowed from foreign languages don't contain the L sound, so they have to write "Franger" and "Parts Rist" too. Probably nobody notices anything funny until it eventually gets changed over into Roman letters.

Katakana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In this light, Roland was a brave choice of company name. I believe it's written "Rourando".
                              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
                              X