Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy TDA8953TH

Hi There.
    Where can i order this part online without having to buy 500 pieces? I need 4 of them, and they'll have to ship to South Africa.....
    It is a surface mount package.

Well, I will look it up, but how about what is it and what is it used in? Parts I may not find in any general supply house might be easy to find from the company that uses them in their products.

Aha, Class D amplifier IC.

Yeah, appears not to be off the shelf available. SO who uses it?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It is used by Wharfedale in their newer Titan D range speakers.
      Man! It sucks living in a 3rd -world country. Oh well, Guess ill just have to Ramble on.

Comment

It is not uncommon so any general supplier like Digikey, Arrow, Farnell might have it.
        Here is Digikey's listing:
        TDA8953.

You run into the same problem I have, shipping is the main cost in a repair, higher than labor or parts. It is crazy to have to quote $75 to a customer who wants a knob replacement but that is the reality when living outside of parts of Europe or North America.

I have been getting general parts here locally but any OEM part means shipped through several hands since manufacturers will not send parts to countries with distributors, even when the distributors in many countries refuse to sell any parts. It hurts sales of new gear if currently owned gear is repairable, they figure.
        Last edited by km6xz; 07-12-2013, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I looked in the major houses, and they list it but have no stock, minimum order of several hundred and a long lead time. it isn't where you live in this case, I can't order one from those parts companies here in the USA.

Here, Wharfedale appears to have South African distribution, have you contacted them to see about parts?

Distributor List - Wharfedale Pro

The co0ntact page says they can provide parts around the world.

Contact - Wharfedale Pro
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Have you tried Avnet?
            Europe stock is a 15 piece minimum.
            Asia, 1 piece.
            TDA8953TH Parts - Avnet Express

Comment

Hi diyididi, I can share your pain.
              I live in Argentina, roughly same thing.

Try this:

AVNET , one of the World's monster suppliers (as in: *they* supply Digikey/Mouser/Farnell/etc. ) claims to have 26 in stock in one of their branches, (so they can't force you to buy 500 ) and sell them by the unit.

Even more, they have a shopping cart, which is what we mere mortals use, and even more, they detected I'm in Argentina , didn't pose a problem with that and even quoted the price in Argentine Pesos !!!

So I guess they will sell to South Africa too.

At least try it.
              I simulated buying 4 of them, they quoted some U$25 total, didn't get into shipping or payment details because to close the deal I had to register, but give it a try, it might work.

PLEASE post results, whatever they are, it might be an interesting option.

I have bought from AVNET and their arch-rival Arrow, but in bulk (as in cartons of 250 2N3055 ST transistors) , and knowing there's a "direct line" for smaller orders may be interesting for everybody.

Check: NXP Semiconductors TDA8953TH/N1,112, 24HSOP, Speaker, Class-D, Differential - Avnet Express

EDIT: I found them through:
              TDA8953TH/N1,112 - NXP Semiconductors - TDA8953THN1112 - datasheet

which also shows an AVNET Europe option.
              Check it too and post results.

And by the way, NXP themselves don't show it as "available" anymore, nor supply next batch date, it looks sort of discontinued or something.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

That brings up the very worrisome reality that perfectly good gear, with a defective specialized single source part that is obsolete for few designs, will likely make the end unit unrepairable. Any digital gear with ASICs and limited source parts is essentially worthless. I have a Tascam DM-24 digital mixer here the customer gave to me. Tascam does not have the parts, which have no second source. Total worthless junk now but in excellent condition otherwise.

Speaking of shipping and customs(ok we weren't) but I have been trying to send a rack mount 6kg unit to Neve for warranty repair in England. What a trial and frustrating experience. First off, no one sells boxes. I searched for 2 days for shipping grade boxes. I got the customs forms filled out and took the box to FedEx and they took my credit card imprint to cover the $200 shipping charge. Today got a message from FedEx that they wanted permission to charge my card an additional $1000 for export taxes!!. The unit was 4 years old and worth about $2800 when new. Neve was going to cover it under warranty. A recent law pertaining to exporting electronics slaps a 20% export fee on exporting electronics and the value is determined by custom's database with suggested list price. So this free repair under warranty will be $2000 in fees and shipping. I recalled the package and will save a ton by flying to England and dropping it off. A flight to London is $300. Since I did not have time for that, I decided to send it with a friend who weekly travels to Finland and ship it there. They do not check personal baggage on the fast train when crossing the border.

So ordering and shipping from/to the outside world for many countries is a pain and not worth the effort.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Great to know I'm not alone in this. Will give AVNET a try!!

Comment

As a designer of digital gear I face this problem all the time. To get the functionality my customer wants inside the power budget and footprint, I have to use all these weird ICs, many of which are single sourced. But they also tend to want a 10 year lifetime for the design. So far we've been forced to do lifetime buys on two different ASICs and a bunch of filter modules.

I'd hope Wharfedale would do the same, hold stock of any weird Class-D IC they might use over the expected lifetime of the product. But in reality, they may well contract the manufacture out and let their Chinese contractor source the parts.

I'm just in the process of designing in a brand new microcontroller that only came out in November. A risky ploy, I had originally hoped to use a smaller and better established model, but even as I was doing the hardware design, the code was bloating as marketing asked for more features, until it wouldn't fit in my original choice of chip any more! I really hope the new chip turns out a success and they don't discontinue it!
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanx for all the replies guys!!!
                      Managed to buy some from UTSOURCE.

Comment

Cool!!
                        Post the link for future reference.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Buy Electronic components,Ic,Module,Transistor at UTSOURCE

Comment

Working...
                          X