Old Fluke repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fluke repair.

I have a couple of older Flukes, an 87, and an 88. I've done the display connector repairs on both, but the 87 developed a problem eating batteries, and would partial display while being handled when switched off. After a search which mentioned the carbon on the circuit board tracking with use, I took it apart, and cleaned between the traces. It's been a few weeks now, and all's normal, and the battery is still fine.

If you return the meter to the factory, many times they fix it free...
    I scored a Fluke 87 at a garage sale for $5. Three hours to clean it (covered with grease and dirt)...now it works perfect.
    Garage sales are where you wanna be.

Comment

The Fluke 87 is a great meter.
      I used one several years, before I retired.
      I have the Fluke 89, that is similar.
      I like the auto Turnoff feature.
      I'm bad at walking off and leaving them when they are on.
      I like the continuity beep feature. If you are checking wiring.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I bought my 87 to replace my 27 that got run over by a bucket truck, (actually, the company bought it). A few years later I bought the 88 automotive meter that came out, and I loaned the 87 to my brother in law. He gave it back to me 7 or 8 years ago, (missing digits, tinfoil wrapped fuses, and really filthy). I cleaned it up, and did the display fix, and use it at the house for my projects. I helped my neighbor set up his cooler motor last month, (checking amp draw with a clamp on pickup). Was really glad to save it one more time.

Comment

I have two 77's & a 75.
          Love them.
          Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 07-23-2013, 12:40 AM. Reason: Model #'s

Comment

Like Bill, I just couldn't give up on my 87. Something fell on it and the rotary knob got smashed into around 20 (or more) pieces. No damage to the board or the housing. Can't remember if the knob was no longer available or just too expensive, but I ended up spending many hours gluing it back together. Didn't get it perfect enough; so now the little rubber button in the middle of the knob is hair trigger and sometimes switches itself. But otherwise good enough and back in service as my second meter (would be #1 but for lack of current measurement).
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Anyone out there have a Fluke 8060A, I used one of those in telecom for many years?
              A little more button flipping than the 87, and 89, but still a great meter.
              I see them on the surplus sites pretty regular, Pretty Cheap, I may pick one up someday.
              Last edited by big_teee; 07-23-2013, 12:46 AM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Anyone out there have a Fluke 8060A, I used one of those in telecom for many years?
                A little more button flipping than the 87, and 89, but still a great meter.
                I see them on the surplus sites pretty regular, Pretty Cheap, I may pick one up someday.
                I own one of these and use it almost daily at my regular 9-5...The true 4 1/2 digit display is necessary for some of the measurements I need to take. Great meter!

Comment

Working...
                X