Headphone jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphone jack

I have a budget practice amp with a broken headphone jack. This is a no name manufacturer and therefore no replacement parts. I figure I can probably get a replacement from Switchcraft if I can tell them what I need which is a jack that shuts off the speaker when the headphone is plugged in. The Wikipedia article which discusses phone connectors provides a diagram of such a jack which doesn't match anything I see on the Swtchcraft site. Can somebody please advise? Thanks
    Last edited by nonaste; 11-09-2013, 08:04 AM. Reason: spellin

Can you post a pic or two? We can probably find a replacement for you. If so, it'd be nice to see both the top side and the bottom side so we can see how the pins are arranged.
    Last edited by The Dude; 11-09-2013, 08:41 AM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Dude (loved that flick). At this point, no. I'm waiting for some desolder braid to arrive in mail. In the interim I'll try to describe the jack. Not much to it. The problem is no schematic for this cheapo amp and too little electronic knowledge to figure it out but here goes.:

The jack is PC mount, enclosed, rectangular plastic box with 5 solder lugs at a right angle to the casing, one lug at front and 4 inline lugs at rear. It's a Kunming L90. From their website they don't make it anymore. But it is the configuration depicted in the picture labeled "D" in the "Design" section of the Wikipedia article "Phone connector (audio)".

Phone connector (audio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I can find a jack with this configuration I may be able to rig it to fit in the circuit with a little soldering of jumper wires to the lugs and circuit board. Seems like a lot of effort for a cheapo amp but I have more time than money and I hate throwing an otherwise serviceable amp in the garbage can.

Comment

Originally posted by nonaste View Post
        ...the configuration depicted in the picture labeled "D" in the "Design" section of the Wikipedia article "Phone connector (audio)". Phone connector (audio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If I can find a jack with this configuration I may be able to rig it to fit in the circuit with a little soldering of jumper wires to the lugs and circuit board....
        The best approach is to replace the part with a jack that has the same footprint to fit the PC board. A perfect fit is likely available so it would be best to post photos of the actual jack as Dude requested. Also, please tell us the make and model of your amp. Someone here may know the type of jacks the maker commonly uses.
        Tom

Comment

"desolder braid "
          Your best bet when working on pcb's is a desolder pump.
          Especially if it is a 'double sided' board.
          Solder Sucker- desoldering pump: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Comment

A pic or a hand drawing of the jack would help narrow down what you need.
            Unfortunately, there are a multitude of different jacks that can & are used.
            https://www.google.com/#q=stero+head...jack+PCB+mount
            For more info, click on "Images"

Comment

Are any of these familiar?
              http://www.kunming.com.tw/product_cl...sify_SN1=10269

Comment

Is this a 1/4 inch jack or "mini" type connector?
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks fellas for all of your responses. I spent several hours scouring the internet trying to find this part with no luck. The manufacturer no longer makes it and Jay Turser doesn't support it. I found a replacement at Switchcraft. It's a 1/4" stereo 3 conductor jack , open frame, panel mount double closed circuit with shunts bypassing the speaker when the headphone plug is inserted into the jack. Should work if I can connect to the right pc points.

Comment

Found it at Musicians Friend

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                    A pic or a hand drawing of the jack would help narrow down what you need.
                    Unfortunately, there are a multitude of different jacks that can & are used.
                    https://www.google.com/#q=stero+head...jack+PCB+mount
                    For more info, click on "Images"
                    I have a similar request - old amp in good shape except the input jack is loose. I found a couple parts that seem to fit - so I'll order them and see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	amp_jack.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	832304

Fender 1/4" chrome Amp Jack - Mono
                    Item #H74378000000000

Fender 1/4" chrome Amp Jack - Stereo
                    Item #H74358000000000

Kinda pricey - but there is free shipping at Musicians Friend.
                    Last edited by gbeeker; 02-01-2014, 02:37 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Working...
                    X