Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A source for mini-toggle switches with short bat handles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A source for mini-toggle switches with short bat handles?

I first saw these switches on a Egnator Rebel 20 amp head and figured that there HAD to be a source for them. What was great about them was that with the short bat handle they would be much less likely to break- a reason to not use mini-toggle switches on guitar amps unless they were in a protected location.

Since then I've seen them on FX pedals like my Barber Small Fry so I think that they should be available now. Has anyone found a good source for them- like one that doesn't require a 100 lot order...

Another item I'm interested in are the DC jacks on a lot of FX pedals that are mounted in a fairly large hole and secured with a nut. Yes I could try googling around but I am wondering if anyone here is buying those items and would recommend a source.

Thanks!

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

DC jacks - several here, but C seems good.
    http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1380.pdf

And for flat mini-toggles, have you just leafed through the paper Mouser catalog?\Type F on the bottom maybe:
    http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1883.pdf

Or type C here:
    http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1884.pdf
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Small Bear has them too.

SPDT (On-On)
      SPDT (Center OFF)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
        Small Bear has them too.

SPDT (On-On)
        SPDT (Center OFF)
        And with very reasonable prices to boot. Any idea where I might find DPDT versions of them? In particular I want to add full bypass toggles for some of my pedals which seriously degrade the signal when allegedly bypassed. Specifically the Joyo copies of the Sansamp Tech 21 Character series pedals. Speaking of bypass there are some pedals with a buffered bypass that actually sounds better than the original signal like some of the T-Rex pedals including the Hobo Drive and the Palmer PEPAMP Pocket Amp. I think it has something to do with the output impedance working really well with the next stage, pedal or amp...

Thanks! (Well, single pole switches are better than zero pole switches. )

Steve Ahola

P.S. Any idea how Small Bear computes shipping charges- by dollar total? It looks like it is:
        $5 for orders under $10
        $5.25 for orders from $10-30
        $5.50 for orders from $30-40
        $6 $40-50
        $7 $50-60
        $8 $60- ?

Not exactly a fair way to compute shipping charges- I think that item prices should be bumped up a little bit and have shipping charges based on size and weight of box which will be used. If I ordered 20 of the mini-toggle switches I really doubt that the actual shipping charge would be more that if I ordered just one.

I guess my complaint is that I usually like to increase my order to bring down the actual cost for shipping of each item- so it actually works AGAINST them to use such an arbitrary price schedule for shipping. It is very old school- like how shipping charges used to be computed before Amazon.com disrupted the whole mail order industry with free shipping...

BTW there are some sellers on Amazon who price their shipping charge per item which is not an incentive for me to order a larger quantity- not everyone has gone along with the program...
        Last edited by Steve A.; 11-16-2013, 06:34 PM.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:

Comment

Steve and Co. will usually look for the cheapest way to ship. Feel free to contact them. And if DPDT types are something you regularly use, put in a request. Steve's good about that sort of thing. Some of the products he carries are specifically in response to requests and not really available anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            And for flat mini-toggles, have you just leafed through the paper Mouser catalog? Type C here:
            http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1884.pdf
            Yikes I didn't check out that link- it looks like they have all sorts of configurations with the short bat although they are more expensive than Small Bear ($7.45 for DPDT.) I have paid that much for mini-toggles in music stores when I couldn't wait for a Mouser order...

Steve
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:

Comment

Don't know exactly what switch you want but the jacks are what you are looking for. Check out Tayda. Lots of common stuff and shipping is bone cheap. Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by jbltwin1 View Post
                Don't know exactly what switch you want but the jacks are what you are looking for. Check out Tayda. Lots of common stuff and shipping is bone cheap. Mike.
                Wow- I just put together a sample order of 21 mini-toggles that I use regularly for $17.07 plus $2.64 S/H. Damn- that is my kind of on-line store! (You can pay more for expedited shipping if you need it faster than 7-16 days. $5.64 for 6-9 days)

Thanks!

Steve Ahola
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:

Comment

Use them all the time for common stuff. Have to send in an order today in fact. Just don't try to ADD anything to your order once it's done. It won't happen. I think they're minimum is only $5.00 too. Mike.

Comment

I regularly order from Tayda. They are cheap and honest, but inconsistent as far as "fast" goes. Sometimes stuff arrives withn the stated time, but other times you have to be patient (I'm going into my 4th week for an order to arrive). Quality is hit and miss. The chips and trannies are obviously the came chips and trannies that others provide, as are many other sorts of components. I find the leads on the resistors can be kind of thin, and some of the toggles I've bought couldn't stand up to much soldering heat. That's not any sort of wholesale counter-recommendation (because the prices ARE appealing). Just remember that sometimes you can get a bargain, and sometimes you get what you paid for it. If I'm just trying to restock my parts bins, and am in no hurry, I'll order fro them, but if I need something quickly, or need to be certain of the quality of what I'm ordering, I'll use another source.

Comment

Yeah, I think delivery also is dependent on which warehouse it comes from. I've gotten quick and it seems to ship from the Colorado warehouse but if it comes from the hinterland, not so fast. I use them for resistor stock, pots, hell, even chips. Just ordered a couple of TDA2040's from them to fix a POS Crate amp. Common transistors, footstomp switches. diodes, etc. Prices acn't be beat and the shipping IS reasonable(I'm cheap) Mike.

Comment

Update-ordered from Tayda on Nov 20, received today, the 28th. Shipped from Colorado warehouse. Pretty quick, in my book. I ordered some stuff from chinna directly-I'm in my 4th week of waiting. THAT'LL teach me! Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by jbltwin1 View Post
                          Update-ordered from Tayda on Nov 20, received today, the 28th. Shipped from Colorado warehouse. Pretty quick, in my book. I ordered some stuff from chinna directly-I'm in my 4th week of waiting. THAT'LL teach me! Mike.
                          I have gotten some orders from China very fast- better luck with Amazon than eBay. I ordered a tablet power adaptor which turned out to be defective. He sent me another one right away. (I'd probably still be waiting for it if I ordered it on eBay.)

In any case I only order from China as a last resort. Glad to hear about Tayda!

Steve
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:

Comment

Steve, just curious if your experience with Tayda was as good as mine has always been. I swear, I seem to find an excuse to order something from them once a month! Build effects with commons stuff so they are a valuable resource. Built the reverb and preamp last. Hardware seems ok but you have to be careful with the 1/4" stuff. I use their 1/4" plugs but I add better strain retention and super glue the casing to the ground as well as wrapping them. They're OUT of 1/4" mono jacks right now so I had to order some plastic stereo units and just work around it. Mike.

Comment

Don't forget to check Facebook for their intermittent coupons ( https://www.facebook.com/TaydaElectronics ).

Comment

Working...
                              X