Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a Fender Super Champ XD Power Supply

TRB here,
    I thought this might be the place to ask this question to. I have a fender super champ xd and I am wanting to gut it an try to make little hot rod Fender Bronco or Fender Champ out of it. my question is about the power supply.
    It has two green filament wires that are correct, two red rectifier that one reads 152 v ac and the other is 132 v ac. There are two brown wires that one reads 4.87 v ac and the other 5.29 v ac. then two blue wirers that one reads 17.22 v ac and the other 17.22. the one yellow that reads ground. The output transformer is reading 400 on B+ DC and 400 on the brown and blue to the output tubes which seems fair to me. The amp has two 6v6s power tubs and 0ne 12ax7. It is solid state rectified. I was wandering if you might have any insight for me on possibly using the power transformer to build such an amp. There is plenty of room to build a tweed Princeton, Tweed Harvard, Bronco or champ. Those voltages just don't seem right to me and that the transformer is questionable. Of course the amps I would like to build calls for hire voltage. I tried to find a schematic for the super champ xd and was not able to find one without contacting Fender. Would the those voltages be that low due to the effect modeling and processer chips? Or would I just be better off just putting a Princeton power transformer in to build one of these circuits? I would really appreciate your input on this. I have read a lot of your answers to people questions on here and really feel you have some great knowledge and really know what going on in tube circuits. Thank you ahead of time if you could be of some help to me. Thanks TRB.

Fender Super Champ XD Schematic

As there are probably not any published specs on the Champ transformer, T would have to assume that you may not be able to get any more heater current out of it.

Might as well buy what you want.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      As there are probably not any published specs on the Champ transformer, T would have to assume that you may not be able to get any more heater current out of it.

Might as well buy what you want.
      JAZZ P BASS, Thanks for the reply. It's looking that way. I just wasn't sure if there was maybe something wrong with that transformer. I will just replace it with a Princeton transformer and be done with it. Also thank you for the schematic. That will be help anyway. Thanks again. TRB

Comment

Originally posted by TRB View Post
        JAZZ P BASS, Thanks for the reply. It's looking that way. I just wasn't sure if there was maybe something wrong with that transformer. I will just replace it with a Princeton transformer and be done with it. Also thank you for the schematic. That will be help anyway. Thanks again. TRB
        I'm thinkin' yes something funny about that transformer, with 152V on one red lead, and 132V on the other. Brown and yellow, yes for low voltage circuits in the XD Champ.

FWIW I modified an original Vibro Champ to a 19W (at clip) push-pull 6V6 screamer. When I played it in the only space I could find at the time that would tolerate loud noises - a small engine repair shop - the owner hollered at me to shut'er down because it was TOO LOUD! Imagine that, from a guy who fixes lawnmowers & snowblowers all day, too loud from him meant I was getting somewhere. Ran that amp and even took it on tour for 25 years then sold it to one of my customers for $800. So - get the Princeton transformer and rock on. FWIW one of my vendors offers a PT that's for Champ, VibroChamp, Princeton and Princeton Reverb. Your amp will likely turn out similar to mine, so start with a healthy PT and enjoy your project and its results.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Before you decide the transformer is funny, disconnect those leads from the circuit. Now do they still measure uneven while sticking into the air?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X