Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Output (breaker switch)

Hi,

I am looking to add on a switchcraft 12a jack to my guitar, so that the signal from the pickups are split to separate jacks only when the second cable is plugged in. I have it set up as mono currently.

What would the necessary wiring be from the original mono jack onto the switched stereo jack? A diagram would be MOST appreciated

There would be different ways to achieve this depending on what your current wiring configuration is. Are both pickups to the switch then a master volume & tone? Does each pickup go to volume & tone then to a pickup switch? We would have to know your existing setup and wiring diagram to figure out the best way to get this done. Can you let us know how your current wiring is set up? Maybe strat style with a 5 position switch? Maybe Les Paul style with a 3 way toggle? Etc.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

my current set up is the neck and bridge pickups each going to their own volumes, each with a tone knob off of that. the pickups go through a 3 way selector switch (on/on/on), then to the output.

Comment

I would think then, you could take the output/center of the volume control of one pickup and hook it to the tip connection of the 12a jack instead of directly to the pickup switch. Then take the switch contact of the 12a jack and hook it to the pickup switch. When nothing is plugged into the jack, tip and switch will make contact and send the signal to the pickup switch as if the jack was not there. When you plug something into the jack the contact will break and signal from that pickup will exit the jack rather than go to the pickup switch.

Comment

that makes perfect sense! one final question for you: because there are two tip connections on the stereo jack, does it matter which I choose? or should I be wiring them to one another

Thanks Dude.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            I would think then, you could take the output/center of the volume control of one pickup and hook it to the tip connection of the 12a jack instead of directly to the pickup switch. Then take the switch contact of the 12a jack and hook it to the pickup switch. When nothing is plugged into the jack, tip and switch will make contact and send the signal to the pickup switch as if the jack was not there. When you plug something into the jack the contact will break and signal from that pickup will exit the jack rather than go to the pickup switch.
            followed these instructions and only connected one of the two tip connections (I believe they are connected anyway? ..answering my previous question as well if that is correct) and everything seems to be working! some slight humming but I believe that is just from my single coil. success! thanks for the help

Comment

I assume you did, but since I forgot to mention it, of course the ground lug of the 12a jack should be grounded.

Comment

yessir all grounded in! thanks for checking though

Comment

Sorry to ramble. I know you have it, but for future reference, the tip and switch connections are connected as you say with no plug inserted. However, when the connection is broken only one of those lugs goes to the tip of the inserted plug. That is the one that should go to the center of the volume control. You obviously have it that way or things wouldn't be working. You can "eyeball it" and see which lug goes to the tip connection, or you could plug in a cable and use a meter to see which lug of the jack goes to the tip of the guitar cable.

Comment

Thought we sorted this ? Stereo Output

Comment

Working...
                    X