Bad Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Plugs

I have trumpeted the virtues and prices here about Tayda Electronics and I still will but I wanted to warn you about something that turned out crappy. Their 90 deg dc power plugs are junk. The plastic housings on the batch that I got crumbled in my hands as I tried to ASSEMBLE them! Bought 10 and they ALL did it. Just trying to put the connectors in the housings made them crumble. The straight in connectors are fine but stay away from the 90's. I tried to leave a bad review on their site for them but they wouldn't allow it so here you go. I still buy a lot of stuff from them but these are clinkers. Mike.

Thanks for the warning.

I've had a couple of really crap parts from them - phenolic board described as glass-fibre, metal LED holders where the thread was hardly formed at all and the nuts stripped when finger-tight - total junk.

A lot of these Far-Eastern companies won't publish bad reviews.

In the main I've had pretty reasonable stuff, but it's a one way ticket. I don't think anything ever gets sent back to refund/replace. Can't imagine what the postage would be (from here in the UK, at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      I've had a couple of really crap parts from them - phenolic board described as glass-fibre,
      I had the same problem.
      Ordered two 6x6" one-sided copper-clad boards: one phenolic @$1.89 (SKU A-5162), and one FR4 @$2.99 (SKU A-2389).
      Received two phenolic boards, each in a glassine bag labeled SKU A-5162.
      I figured someone at the warehouse inadvertently pulled the wrong part.

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      In the main I've had pretty reasonable stuff, but it's a one way ticket. I don't think anything ever gets sent back to refund/replace. Can't imagine what the postage would be...
      My sentiments also.
      But considering what others charge for phenolic copper clad, I think I still got my money's worth.
      Last edited by rjb; 06-16-2014, 03:31 PM. Reason: Benefit of doubt ("inadvertently")
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Yeah, overall, they are still a bargain, although I have been waiting for them to get some GOOD 1/4" mono jacks in for months. I have also requested from them some RCA plugs, not just jacks but they haven't done anything. They are limited in their choices but they do have a BUNCH of useable stuff. Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by jbltwin1 View Post
          I have trumpeted the virtues and prices here about Tayda Electronics and I still will but I wanted to warn you about something that turned out crappy. Their 90 deg dc power plugs are junk. The plastic housings on the batch that I got crumbled in my hands as I tried to ASSEMBLE them! Bought 10 and they ALL did it. Just trying to put the connectors in the housings made them crumble. The straight in connectors are fine but stay away from the 90's. I tried to leave a bad review on their site for them but they wouldn't allow it so here you go. I still buy a lot of stuff from them but these are clinkers. Mike.
          Having worked with plastic injection molding, I can say it only takes one disgruntled/hungover/inattentive machine operator to produce a batch of product that crumbles the way you describe. The good news is the problem is usually rectified by a shift change. The bad news is that poor quality items getting to the end user signals that quality control is not doing its job along the entire supply chain.
          So how rigorously do you test the stuff that looks OK to you, but could be near its failure point? How do we as the end users even know what we should be testing for? Do you have paying customers that you'll be liable to? Caveat emptor.
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
          X