Using diodes for PS voltage drop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using diodes for PS voltage drop?

I am working on an audio project that is requires an 18V max. power supply. I also have access to some surplus 20V laptop switching power supplies.

Is it feasable to use diodes in series (3 @ typical .7V drop = 2.1V) with the 20V supply to get 18V for the project?

Thanks.

Originally posted by poboy View Post
    I am working on an audio project that is requires an 18V max. power supply. I also have access to some surplus 20V laptop switching power supplies.

Is it feasable to use diodes in series (3 @ typical .7V drop = 2.1V) with the 20V supply to get 18V for the project?

Thanks.
    That will work. However, I'm not a fan of using switching power supplies in audio equipment because of the higher possibility of noise they often cause.
    Always a good idea to test your power supply with a load equivalent to your application, determine if it really puts out 20V and check the regulation.
    Regards,
    Tom

Comment

Diodes are used all the time for series voltage dropping...but I agree about the switching power supplies..they can be pretty noisey

Comment

Hi Tom,
        depending on what equipment your pluging in to your power supply try using adjustable voltage reg's like Lm317T or L200 that adjust's both voltage and currrent to sute your need's.
        amptech.

Comment

And are there trimmers on the switchers? You might find 18v within the range of the 20v supply adjustment range.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X