Giving up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    And here we are!!! Finally, a post that doesn't approach the thread as if Enzo is leaving the freakin' planet!?!
    C'mon guys.?. It's not the end! It's just Enzo's next move in life's game.
    Hey Enzo... There's at least one guy here that understands that you're retiring, not expiring
    Thanks for that Chuck, I guess it's the title of the thread, doesn't sound too optimistic.
    I was kind of avoiding the thread thinking it may be health related, hope that is not the case.
    Enzo, we all have retirement coming to/at us, either on our own terms or otherwise. So I hope you got to make the choice. That being said, knowing how much you love the work I rather suspect it was somewhat forced upon you .
    The water problem may have been a bit of good timing to help you make up your mind.
    Anyway, I hope you will still have a computer and carry on virtual troubleshooting and learnin' us. For that matter, in the automotive world there are guys online doing troubleshooting consultation for $$$. Skype would probably make virtual/remote troubleshooting easier. Something to ponder anyway.
    Congratulations on your retirement!
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
      For that matter, in the automotive world there are guys online doing troubleshooting consultation for $$$. Skype would probably make virtual/remote troubleshooting easier.
      That's a stellar idea. There are some published techs doing something like that already and they don't have Enzo's chops. There's that whole "making a hobby a job" aspect to it though. But since Enzo was already doing this stuff for a living and then coming around here that might not be a problem.

What say you Enzo? Can I purchase the option to consult you on electronics troubleshooting? You know your good at it. Why not get paid? You'd actually be doing many new or less skilled techs and their customers a great service.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hi Enzo!
        I don't visit this forum as often as I used to, but I have followed your posts over many years and know you to be one of the most knowledgeable people out here You have helped so many and shown them kindness, respect and patience far beyond what I would have been capable of. You have my respect and well wishes in whatever you do and wherever you go from here. I don't look forward to the day I make the same decision, or that it is made for me...
        Cheers!

Comment

Enzo...I wish you all the best in your new chapter of life...I will miss your posts....they are very informative....you have helped so many of us here..hopefully you will drop in from time to time and give some advice.....or just say Hi.....all the best.....
          Cheers,
          Bernie

Comment

Enzo, I wish I had "met" you many years ago. In the short time I've been active here I have learned a lot from you and the other guys. I respect not only your knowledge but your willingness to teach others how to figure this stuff out. As my wife says, you're a good man, Charlie Brown.

If you end up having an auction or some other type of sale for your business, please let me know. I still need some equipment and I'm always on the lookout for PTs and OTs and such too for projects and repairs.
            --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

*removes hat* All the very best to you sir!

Originally posted by Steve L View Post
              Enzo,

First, thank you very much for all of your insight and generosity in sharing your knowledge over the years. The suggestions you make to people needing help are always spot-on.
              Originally posted by John_H View Post
              Thanks Enzo. I hope even though You're shutting down the shop that you won't abandon us completely. Good luck with your move.
              Originally posted by km6xz View Post
              Don't spend too much time on the internet, there is too many real activities to do to bother with virtual life. Check in once in a while, solve a few problems and return to your new expanded activity list of things put off while you had the shop. There is a whole 'nether life out there to enjoy, a lot of books put away for someday when you had time, places to see you never had time for and and a world of people to meet who are not musicians with broken gear and want your time.

Good Luck and "actively" relax. On to phase 2....
              In addition to what everyone else has said, I can only reiterate the thoughts. Thank you SO very much for giving so much of your time, insight, and wisdom so freely! It means the world to so many, and I still have a ton of posts to find/run across as the situation merits or my curiosity's peaked, that I'm sure you'll have posted in. So thanks in advance.

What you've done here can only continue to shine brightly, so I have no doubts what so ever that the shift in your professional/personal life will be just fine once you settle into it! =)

I hope that you never become a stranger around these parts.
              Best wishes
              Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Just because you're retiring, and moving to town?
                You can still get on here now and then.
                You can fix more stuff by memory than most of us can with all the resources.
                We need your level thinking In the Lobby, and storm drain too!
                Like Stan said, you do it in moderation, but I bet Wenzo won't mind.
                Keep in touch!
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Each room does have a pull string dangling, yank it and it calls 911. So we have to make sure we tape those up, well, because we have cats.
                  ROFL. No, they'll appreciate those fully.

If yours are like mine, it's ALWAYS an emergency when they get hungry. Or at least they seem to think so!

Might just have to homebrew a circuit and rewire them so that they flash the kitchen lights (over the food bowls) instead of dialing 911 on short pulls, and actually dial 911 on a sustained long pull (>5 seconds).
                  Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

I actually think that Enzo's posts here should be collected into an archive all by itself. That is a GREAT idea. I don't know if tboy reads these, but if you do, tboy, I think it would be a major service to the guitar amps community to do that.
                    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Enzo should do a kickstarter for book (or ebook) of complied postings, and we could all direct traffic for people to pay in! I'd feel honored to pay and most of his book I've already read!

(alternatively a couple of us could compile his postings, with or without admin help)
                      Last edited by tedmich; 11-19-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                        I actually think that Enzo's posts here should be collected into an archive all by itself. That is a GREAT idea. I don't know if tboy reads these, but if you do, tboy, I think it would be a major service to the guitar amps community to do that.
                        And WHO would edit it!?! I imagine this could keep our man of honor busy for awhile

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Let's see.

21,537 posts (on this site)

Copy, paste, save.

That's roughly 400 hours.

Have it done & ready in 10 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                            Let's see.

Copy, paste, save.

And that doesn't account for filtering any hash (purely humorous blips, minor participations that didn't go anywhere, troll spotting and forum fight referee efforts, etc.) and then compiling it a way that allows for comprehensive navigation. It's an enormous task. It could be a very beneficial piece of work in the end though. A study in troubleshooting that would teach skills rather than just rote information.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                              Let's see.
                              Copy, paste, save.
                              I assume that all posts from this forum are kept in MySQL database. If this is the case, it would require writing one simple SQL statement (and of course knowledge on the database structure). OK, maybe 2 statements. Nothing difficult for the forum administrator. The rest would be handled by the database server.

Enzo: all the best. I remember that you helped me when I was starting my adventure with amps. I hope that you will stay active on the forum.

Mark

Comment

Thanks for all your help on the forum here and elsewhere Enzo. I'm sure Wendy will think its the right decision. ;-)
                                Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                                X