No announcement yet.

Shop rate survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a place up in north Dallas that does speaker repair and electronics. I've heard several horror stories about them.
    In fact I have a Fender (SUNN) mixer/amp here on my bench that a local music store took to them.
    They charged him $50 and told him it was too old and they couldn't get parts, which is total BS. (AND took a month to get it back.)
    I can get anything that's in this unit. I know you have to charge a basic bench fee if you wanna make any money,
    but $50 and then lie to you about it? How does a place like that stay in business?
    Myself, I charge at least $25-35 (I work at my house). And I've even fixed a few for free for some older guys that
    are on fixed incomes and just barely had cash for parts. I don't try to make a living
    doing electronics, I have a busy mechanic business that pays the bills.
    1937 Gibson L50 "Black Special #4"
    1978 Gibson Melody Maker D Reissue
    2004 Ibanez SZ720FM
    Epi SG '61 with 490R & 498T Pickups
    Couple Marshalls, Crate Blue VooDoo
    Couple 4x12 cabs
    Couple Orange combos
    TONS OF FREAKING TEST GEAR- SCOPES, METERS ,ANALYZERS
    SIG GENS, ETC, ETC, ETC.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead63 View Post
      There's a place up in north Dallas that does speaker repair and electronics. I've heard several horror stories about them.
      In fact I have a Fender (SUNN) mixer/amp here on my bench that a local music store took to them.
      They charged him $50 and told him it was too old and they couldn't get parts, which is total BS. (AND took a month to get it back.)
      I can get anything that's in this unit. I know you have to charge a basic bench fee if you wanna make any money,
      but $50 and then lie to you about it? How does a place like that stay in business?
      Shortcut thinking and the nerve to charge for it I swear that some days I feel like I need to be accountable for so much and I see the sort of thing you just described with every interaction. It seems to me that the people that actually give a crap and put out an honest effort take just as much $h!t as the people who don't care about anyone but themselves. Why do we do it!?! I really sweat it when I have to make any concession that affects someone else while others are happiest if they can take money from others for nothing and sleep like babies. What's it going to take to wake me up to the competitive nature of our culture that is going to leave guys like us broke in retirement @#$%!
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I will die broke,............but with a clean conscience.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          Me too. But I'll add "...and probably feeling more than a little foolish". I fear that something is going to make itself too clear once there's no going back

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Me Too!
            A man should only Have to Lie, For Sex!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Me Too!
              A man should only Have to Lie, For Sex!
              T
              See, now, there's the rub. Sex is expensive (unless you just hire a prostitute or something ). So shouldn't that mean that it's ok to lie for money in the pursuit of sex?!? I think that must be how corruption starts.

Comment

Chuck, I'm with ya on the broke part, but you can't take it with you when you go.
                The old saying "He who dies with the most toys wins" isn't true.
                I don't really have crap for retirement, but everything I have is paid for. I don't owe anyone anything.
                I used to think about that almighty dollar and everything I did was to make more of it.
                Then I got divorced and I don't have any of the things I did then. So I kind of wasted my time slaving for money.
                You're only here once, and for a limited time.
                So I'm happy to pay my bills, do honest work for honest money, and do right by everyone I deal with.
                I get screwed every now and then, but there isn't anyone that can honestly say I jacked them
                out of money, either in my mechanic business or fixing electronics.
                And I'm happy with that.
                1937 Gibson L50 "Black Special #4"
                1978 Gibson Melody Maker D Reissue
                2004 Ibanez SZ720FM
                Epi SG '61 with 490R & 498T Pickups
                Couple Marshalls, Crate Blue VooDoo
                Couple 4x12 cabs
                Couple Orange combos
                TONS OF FREAKING TEST GEAR- SCOPES, METERS ,ANALYZERS
                SIG GENS, ETC, ETC, ETC.

Comment

Amen!

I nearly died in a car accident once and was paralyzed for quite some time. After that, everything else is just little shit. I only need enough money to put a roof over my head, food, and some musical toys. I work to live. Some people live to work. That ain't my style.

Edit: I forgot booze.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm with you on that. The way I see it, when the revolution comes, I'll be in the same boat, unlike those who are really pissed about how much they lost. So relatively speaking I come out ahead .
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                    X