No announcement yet.

bridge rectifiers 101...Please Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridge rectifiers 101...Please Help!!!

hey all,I have a question regarding bridge rectifiers. So, on a schematic it shows that the cathode of a rectifier is hooked to the positive side of the filter cap. I have a rectifier sitting in front of me, there is a black wire and dot coming from one side which I have determined to be the cathode, using a meter. Does this black wire hook to the positive side of the filter cap? or does the end where the red dot/wire hook to the positive side? This whole thing seems deceptive being we automatically assume red goes to positive and black goes to negative, right? I blew a power fuse on my amp because i think setup this up wrong. Thanks.

Bridge rectifiers are usually labelled with +, -, ~, ~. The + goes to your filter cap +.

I don't know anything about black wires and dots, since I've never seen a bridge rectifier that came with wires already attached. But nevertheless the diode cathodes should connect to the filter cap + and the anodes to the -.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

directional...

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      Bridge rectifiers are usually labelled with +, -, ~, ~. The + goes to your filter cap +.

I don't know anything about black wires and dots, since I've never seen a bridge rectifier that came with wires already attached. But nevertheless the diode cathodes should connect to the filter cap + and the anodes to the -.
      Unfortunately Steve this rectifier is only labeled with colors. So you say cathode to + and anode to -. Ok so when I am using my meter,in diode setting, the side I am using the negative (black) lead from the meter, is the cathode side correct? That is of course if I am just measuring the diode and get a reading between 450-750. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X