Best Noob Recourses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Noob Recourses?

hey all, I have a pretty good general knowledge about electricity and such. I understand what ohms, amps, volts, etc are. but I was wondering if anyone here knows of some great web resources that could possibly strengthen my knowledge to the point of being able to effectively repair amps (my amp in particular.) if possible, everything down to methods of testing with a multimeter (I hear about this one-handed technique, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, don't you need to use both probes to test the voltage on something?)

thanks to those who reply, don't get discouraged about giving me info, I wont try any of it unless I'm with someone who knows what they're doing.

One handed testing in an amp refers to (for example) using one hand to attach a ground lead to the ground circuit with an alligator clip, then once that's in using only one hand to hold the positive lead to probe test points.

It's far from a guarantee you won't be electrocuted, but it "might" decrease the chances of it by making you slightly less conductive. Another theory involves your heart not being physically in a straight line from a 'hand to hand' current path, but electricity doesn't always follow the straightest physical path, it follows the path of least resistance - even if it's physically longer.

Internal burns from electrocution can kill in any part of the body by disrupting any number of body functions - even bone marrow in your foot. If you are starting yourself and don't have a good understanding of electricity, maybe a Community College basic electronics or electrical course would be a good idea.

Just taking a couple courses doesn't cost very much. An ambulance ride starts around $800 and that's nothing compared to what it costs when they drop you off.

Cheers,
    - JJ
    My Momma always said, Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Comment

In the beginning there is.....

http://www.geofex.com/gtramps.htm

If you start here you will be on your way...

Marc

Comment

does that link apply to non-tube amps?

thanks for the replies by the way.

Comment

Working...
        X