SWR 550X distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWR 550X distortion

My SWR 550X makes buzzing sound when I play my Pedulla ET5 Thunderbass with Bartolini pick-ups thru the SWR into an SWR Goliath JR 8 Ohm cab with 2 10s and a tweeter. The played note fundamentals are there but there is this annoying buzz on each note. I've replaced the tube in the SWR head and have replaced the battery in my Thunderbass. Thoughts anyone?

Have you checked the cabinet for rattles? Without hearing the sound, I can only guess what it may be.
    Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Check it with another cab. Plug the bass into the Effects Return input.

Comment

I have actually repaired the speakers themselves in those 2x10" Goliath Junior SWR cabinets.

Excellent drivers made by PAS but people tend to overpower and murder them.

Fact is that they are rated 300/350W RMS ... which actually means you can use them with a 350/350W head ... for clean headroom and if you play Fusion/Funk Bass lines through them.

The moment you think they are the same as an 810, just in a more compact form, and start pumping Bass into them ... voice coils overheat > bubble > blister > crumble > burn in that order.

I have received them with holes burnt through the voice coil former I could pass my pinky finger through, go figure.

Caused by Hartke 3500 , Eden 550 , Peavey MAX, SVT PRO (various) , etc.

I guess your SWR 550X is in the same class.

Your speakers might be in stage 2 or 3 damage ... only cured by replacing/reconing by the way
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

If you span the speaker cone with your hand and apply even pressure there should be no rubbing or grating if you move the cone inwards. Don't apply excessive force - you only need to move the cone no more than 4 to 5mm. Any rubbing, however slight, means that the speaker is on its way out and shouldn't be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            If you span the speaker cone with your hand and apply even pressure there should be no rubbing or grating if you move the cone inwards. Don't apply excessive force - you only need to move the cone no more than 4 to 5mm. Any rubbing, however slight, means that the speaker is on its way out and shouldn't be used.
            Here's one that my father taught me a long time ago, and Enzo reminded of a few years back...
            Take the raw driver and hold it facing your ear, then bump the back of the magnet with the palm of your other hand. You're trying to get the cone to move forward in the frame. When it moves you will hear a thump. If the voice coil is rubbing you will hear it as a distinctive scratching noise.

Comment

I describe the sound as a sort of flapping sound, but it is hard to describe. yes, a good speaker will give a nice clean TUM sound, while a rubbing VC will make the floppiness.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X