Solder sucker considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder sucker considerations

Like many, I have had tons of different solder suckers. More recently I have been using those big blue and yellow plastic suckers. Thing is they just don't last.
    What are some of the things you guys look at when buying these, and what are some of the more recommended trust worthy type brands that actually work.
    Wanna buy something worthwhile.

Long ago I found a place selling the metal ones CHEAP, like one or two dollars. Considering just the replacement tip for those plastic ones cost more than that, I could just replace the whole thing when the tip wore out. They have always worked well for me. Yes, I never liked the plastic ones either. I never found the dollar ones worked any less well or reliably than when paying $10-15 for them.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The tips are going to wear out (get melted) whether you buy the good one or the cheap one. I don't like the idea of having a tool that is completely disposable, but I'll accept a part of it being so. That's just me. So I use the blue solda-pult and have never had any issues for 25+ years aside from tip replacement.
      Ease of use and manouverability, as well as vacuum strength, are probably more important aspects.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I also have the big blue solda-pult with the white teflon tips.
        I've had mine for 25-30 years or so.
        I am still using the package of teflon tips that came with it.
        I have replaced the O-ring to get a bit more suction out of it.
        Mine has been hauled all over the U.S. doing Comm Tech work.
        It's been a great tool.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

The blue solda-pult has given me long life. I don't need to change the tips too often. There was a time when there were ceramic tips available and they, of course, don't melt. I'll have to check if the ceramic tips are still available. They were always hard to find since most suppliers just stocked the plastic (Teflon?) tips.

Comment

A while back a friend sent me a small de soldering station and I hadn't really used it much until this past weekend and it really made the job a ton easier than it would have been with the spring loaded thing I have. I've never gotten along real well with it and was more than pleased with the station.
            ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

big blue soldapult is the one you want if you work on vacuum tube electronics. the little metal ones are for solid state stuff where there's not much solder to be removed. They clog instantly when you are trying to work on an old Fender with big components, tag strips or grommets with lots of solder. You will overheat stuff with a too small solder sucker, have to do it three times. you will change the values of CC resistors changing cathode bypass caps.

When I was in the US Nav learning about tubes from old guys, we had a class on maintaining the solder sucker one thing thats not been mentioned, clean it out regularly, and use silicone grease on the o ring so it maintains good suction.

Comment

Pace or Hako. + solder wick and low temp solder.

Comment

Working...
                X