• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck H
    replied
    Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    A sneeky way to advert 'socool.sg'
    Singapore.
    Well... I know that things are different from how it use to be. And I sure think the spambot assessment is correct just based on the MO. One IP is from Texas and the other from New Jersey. No east Asian or western European locations.

Leave a comment:

• Jazz P Bass
    replied
    A sneeky way to advert 'socool.sg'
    Singapore.

Leave a comment:

• eschertron
    replied
    Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post

Possible SPAMBOT same as above. Already posting a link on first post.

Definitely not talking about Tube Amps.
    Two first time posters, joined the same day, both talking on a six-year-old thread? Quite the coincidence, I'll say...

Leave a comment:

• J M Fahey
    replied
    Originally posted by felicityhu View Post
    My AC cap went bad a few days ago, and now I have to buy a new one. The motor displayed so many problems like not starting, overheating, and vibrating because it was depriving the engine of the total voltage it needs to operate correctly. I noticed that a new one costs from 8$ to 30$. Do you think the price makes a difference with the quality? And is it worth buying a more expensive one. The guys over at socool.sg recommended a MAXRUN 40+5 MFD of 370 or 440 Volt capacitor. Have any of you tried, and is it worth it? I trust them when it comes to ACs, but I'd like to have more options to choose from.
    Possible SPAMBOT same as above. Already posting a link on first post.

Definitely not talking about Tube Amps.

Leave a comment:

• J M Fahey
    replied
    Originally posted by Jinonisie View Post
    Thanks for the information.
    SPAMBOT

Leave a comment:

• tedmich
    replied
    FML

Last edited by tedmich; 07-22-2021, 01:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• felicityhu
    replied
    My AC cap went bad a few days ago, and now I have to buy a new one. The motor displayed so many problems like not starting, overheating, and vibrating because it was depriving the engine of the total voltage it needs to operate correctly. I noticed that a new one costs from 8$ to 30$. Do you think the price makes a difference with the quality? And is it worth buying a more expensive one. The guys over at socool.sg recommended a MAXRUN 40+5 MFD of 370 or 440 Volt capacitor. Have any of you tried, and is it worth it? I trust them when it comes to ACs, but I'd like to have more options to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• Jinonisie
    replied
    Thanks for the information.

Leave a comment:

• Pdavis68
    replied
    I'm not certain, but I think they're actually intended for washing machines and/or dryers. I came across a reference to that when I was researching them, though like I said, I'm not certain. I never really did find an exact match to these.

Leave a comment:

• Steve A.
    replied
    Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    My thoughts are that the capacitor is a "Start" capacitor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35883[/ATTACH]

They are meant for intermittent duty.
    I agree with you. Compressor run caps are generally in a metal can with 1/4" tabs. This one looks like a start cap and besides the current rating of 2.1A/2.5A is way too low for an AC compressor. (FWIW I was an HVAC service tech for 20 years and an HVAC service manager for 6 of those.)

In any case I think that rating should be adequate for small guitar amps. I think I will order some just for the hell of it.

Steve Ahola

Leave a comment:

• Mick Bailey
    replied
    I've been using motor caps in my Hi-Fi amps for years and never had any problems. Fit and forget.

Leave a comment:

• Pdavis68
    replied
    Well I got an order of them. Looking forward to seeing how they work out.

Leave a comment:

• eschertron
    replied
    Originally posted by tedmich View Post
    Those 15uF caps are quite cheap! They are not small (about 1.5" dia x 3" long) and are probably CBB60 series PP film that will last almost forever. They cost 26X more elsewhere (!) http://www.amazon.com/CBB60-450VAC-P.../dp/B00E1GM2YG

The Ebay supplier linked to Senate testimony about fake electronic components from China, and this sobering video:
    It looks like a video of a recycling center?

Leave a comment:

• tedmich
    replied
    Those 15uF caps are quite cheap! They are not small (about 1.5" dia x 3" long) and are probably CBB60 series PP film that will last almost forever. They cost 26X more elsewhere (!) http://www.amazon.com/CBB60-450VAC-P.../dp/B00E1GM2YG

The Ebay supplier linked to Senate testimony about fake electronic components from China, and this sobering video:
    Last edited by tedmich; 09-28-2015, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• km6xz
    replied
    Non-polarized caps will work fine except where space is limited. Not sure where the notion that filters need to be polarized but a capacitance by one type is the same capacitance as from another. There are differences. For example motor caps have a lot higher inductive reactance than electrolytics of the same value of capacitance so you would not want then in high frequency circuits but you are talking about 120 hz, which would be fine. The larger ones use oil as the dielectric between the plates(rolls) which lasts for decades or more. High quality oil caps would last hundreds of years and would only deteriorate if the oil was contaminated or there was a leak. The problem with oil caps include size, cost and limited off the shelf values. Otherwise they are some of the best capacitors made.
    Here, we can get oil caps in all sorts of sizes since they were commonly used in both military and consumer products for everything from filtering to coupling and bypassing functions. Another interesting cap found here in industrial surplus is Teflon Capacitors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X