No announcement yet.

Dummy loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a couple of the (Chinese) aluminum case 100 watt 4 ohm resistors mounted to a heat sink with a fan. I have them so I can use one (4 ohm) or both in series (8 ohm).
    They work pretty good. Haven't fried them yet.
    1937 Gibson L50 "Black Special #4"
    1978 Gibson Melody Maker D Reissue
    2004 Ibanez SZ720FM
    Epi SG '61 with 490R & 498T Pickups
    Couple Marshalls, Crate Blue VooDoo
    Couple 4x12 cabs
    Couple Orange combos
    TONS OF FREAKING TEST GEAR- SCOPES, METERS ,ANALYZERS
    SIG GENS, ETC, ETC, ETC.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
      It's not loud. I only really hear it when going to bed, but damn.
      Same here. I'm not even sure it was caused by loud music. As a painting contractor I use a high pressure washer pretty often. The waster atomizing at high pressure is VERY loud in the HF. Not too much trouble until I'm in a closed in space with close, opposing walls like an entry way or breezeway. Then it's noticeable, but doesn't immediately seem uncomfortable. After such circumstances I notice my ears ringing more obviously though. This revelation was about ten years ago and I wear ear protection now when washing in close quarters. I'm also exposed to construction on occasion. Table saws, tile saws, jack hammers, etc. It happens on new construction. I wear ear protection whenever it seems necessary. I use to just pack pieces of rolled up rag into my ear holes but now I keep a pack of disposable ear plugs in the truck (a total middle aged guy move ) I can still hear to somewhere beyond 15kHz. Maybe not much higher and certainly not as well as I use to. Anyway...

It's the HF that's going to kill your ears and cause tinnitus. If you play through a combo or half stack and stand close to it you're probably ok. Ear level speakers with heavy HF will drive lightning bolts straight into your head. Even if you have a good sounding frequency balance, it's the direct HF that'll get you. I never did, and still don't use ear plugs for playing, but I pay close attention to circumstances and I do use them with some power tools and certainly the high pressure washer. I'm sure all the loud music didn't help. I don't think it was the straw that broke the camels ears though. I think, in my case, it was occupational, mostly.

So use your ear and eye protection guys!!! Whenever you're around any sort of industrial noise. And, I suppose if you play metal, even when you play loud guitar. Though I don't think earplugs for music are necessary most of the time if you know what to look out for. I hate to wear earplugs when playing. Too much like a condom for sex.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

So when the doctor tells you you have come down with venereal disease, you won't be able to hear him?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X