No announcement yet.

The impossible happens every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess I'm a curator as well: Tube amps, B-3s and Leslies, Rhodes, Whirly 200s, Clavinets, and even a dang Mellotron.

Comment

Curate away. You have very marketable skills which you should make the most of.
      Drewline

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

Originally posted by Mackin View Post
        I don't know where to start...

This is all very true and equally heartbreaking to read for me.

Sometimes I wish I was born a couple of decades earlier.
        Funny you should say that. My grown daughter says the same thing. My wife & I laugh when she complains about missing the 60's.
        Drewline

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

One recent (likely temporary) "repair salmon" managing to swim upstream is mechanical watch repair, as has been noted in many recent articles. Rich guys still wear ridiculously expensive mechanical watches utilizing 19th century technology, so there is some small market for their repair.

Comment

I'd like to learn to fix the big clock tower clocks. I'd suppose learning watches would give a leg up on the principles.
            Big bucks & travel with clock towers. Pipe organs too I'd guess.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	300px-Safetylast-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	840335

Stick with watches.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

whilst it's true that modern equipment is less and less repairable, the classic beloved repairable old stuff ain't going nowhere. I will have crack at anything musical and electronic (given up on non-tube hifi though), and do you know I think the single amp model I see most of are early 60s AC30s. There are so many of them out there, I'm amazed the price holds up. So till they lose their cachet I'm still in business. And there aren't very many repair shops in the UK. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, don;t go moving over here guys, you're too good.

Comment

Man I just dumped a butt load of likes on this thread!!! Great follow up to my simple recycle statement and industry prediction. I can't begin to respond to much of it. Beyond my pay grade (so to speak). So much insight here... I wonder how much of it will prove itself Thanks guys! I love this forum!

Incidentally... We're all at the mercy of what's spoon fed to us to some degree (though Mick get's a nod for rising above even that!). I do recycle at all levels that are offered (but remember I live on Whidbey Island?!?) I can recycle used motor oil (and I do), I can recycle bottles and cans (and I do), I can recycle metal objects like refrigerators and lawn mowers (and I do). It's important to do what you can when you can. We all have lives to get back to and recycling is very often a futile effort, but not always. I know that a lot of recycling isn't maximized to avoid down purposing or done to achieve maximum recovery. But consider the alternative of doing NOTHING.?.

Always do what you can when you can otherwise doing what you have to once you have to may prove impossible.
                  Last edited by Chuck H; 12-13-2015, 02:52 AM.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Huh.?. Double post. And I didn't even punch anything twice!?! It's happening on it's own now!

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      Huh.?. Double post. And I didn't even punch anything twice!?! It's happening on it's own now!
                      HA! You even recycled your post. Now THAT's dedication!

Comment

Walk around any old town or village in the British Isles and you'll notice where once there were railings there are stumps set in lead, where they were cut off. Churches, homes, walls, public buildings and much more. The reason for this was a wartime initiative to make the people stuck back home think they were contributing to the war effort. In the main it was a propaganda excercise. Railings to tanks, pots and pans to Spitfires.

Much of the metal was stockpiled out of sight and eventually dumped either at sea or, as my Father recollects, used to fill a disused coal mine shaft.

So, if a government will do that and get rid of our architectural heritage, have things really changed so much that a similar move wouldn't be used to lull people into a sense of doing good by recycling?

I wonder how many local authorities in the UK are still incinerating electrical/electronic waste - mainly plastics - despite separation at the point of collection?

Comment

A federally funded program that troubles to separate waste, and then burn it all in the same furnace OR just dump the toxic stuff where it will be just as toxic, but somewhere else...

How practical! Your tax dollars at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            A federally funded program that troubles to separate waste, and then burn it all in the same furnace OR just dump the toxic stuff where it will be just as toxic, but somewhere else...

How practical! Your tax dollars at work.
                            Yes, our tax dollars at work, filling the pockets of mobsters & politicians, sometimes one and the same.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/ny...ion-trial.html

Don't worry, Donny Trump will fix it all!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                              Walk around any old town or village in the British Isles and you'll notice where once there were railings there are stumps set in lead, where they were cut off. Churches, homes, walls, public buildings and much more. The reason for this was a wartime initiative to make the people stuck back home think they were contributing to the war effort. In the main it was a propaganda excercise. Railings to tanks, pots and pans to Spitfires.

Much of the metal was stockpiled out of sight and eventually dumped either at sea or, as my Father recollects, used to fill a disused coal mine shaft.

So, if a government will do that and get rid of our architectural heritage, have things really changed so much that a similar move wouldn't be used to lull people into a sense of doing good by recycling?

I wonder how many local authorities in the UK are still incinerating electrical/electronic waste - mainly plastics - despite separation at the point of collection?
                              I suspect the railings thing wasn't so much government propaganda as self-generating bollox the govt couldn't do much about after the hare was mistakenly started running. Railings are so visible and unremoved ones must have become like the mark of Cain under the pressure of wartime group behaviour. You do still see the empty lead lined sockets everywhere, it's a damn shame.

Comment

damn these double posts! May foxy divils taunt them with pitchforks on the hobs of hell!

oops sorry forgot I was talking to americans - hell is just a metaphor guys lol

Comment

Working...
                                X