Vox Continental I Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Continental I Problem

Hi, im far for your city so im trying asking an advice.

I have a Vox Super Continental and a Continental I, and i have a problem on the Continental I with the IV preset, just look at my video youll see that the IV on the super continental have much harmonic than the Continental I My Super Continental is a 1967 ans my I is a 1964, any idea what would be the problem on My Continental I?

Theres a video showing it.

Thanks for watching!

https://youtu.be/a1JuzSUprqM

Welcome to the place.
    Originally posted by Ray_Manzarek View Post
    I have a Vox Super Continental and a Continental I, and i have a problem on the Continental I with the IV preset, just look at my video youll see that the IV on the super continental have much harmonic than the Continental I My Super Continental is a 1967 ans my I is a 1964, any idea what would be the problem on My Continental I?
    Tell us more about the Continental I. Was it working correctly before? Has anyone been inside there doing any repairs?

The IV mix should contain 4 separate notes for each key. These notes are hard wired to the keyboard and are sent to the output via the IV buss bar. Maybe somebody mis-wired the output to the wrong buss bar.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      Welcome to the place.
      Tell us more about the Continental I. Was it working correctly before? Has anyone been inside there doing any repairs?

The IV mix should contain 4 separate notes for each key. These notes are hard wired to the keyboard and are sent to the output via the IV buss bar. Maybe somebody mis-wired the output to the wrong buss bar.
      No it never worked, before

Comment

It may be that somebody has miswired the output from the keyboard buss bar to the IV drawbar.

Are you capable of working on this yourself?

Comment

Im. No an electronic expert but yeah im. Fine to fix it myself, ill have to check the wire to see if one of them are unsoldered

P. S sorry i usually speak French, my english can look weird but i understand it well

Comment

Your English is far better than my French!

If you remove the orange top cover you will have access to the wiring. You may be able to see the end of the key board where the ends of the buss bars are. If not you may need to lift the keybed. It is hinged, so it will lift up for easy access.

There will be 5 wires connected to the buss bars. 1-16' buss (blue), 2-8' buss (white), 3-4' buss (green), 4-IV buss (red) and 5- ground (black). The 4 footage wires connect to the corresponding draw bars. See if all of the wires are connected to the right places.

It may help if you take a photo of the back side of the draw bars and post it here.

(I'm not positive about about the buss wire colors, a photo of yours will probably help here.)
            Last edited by 52 Bill; 01-18-2016, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Yeah ill open it and figure it out, i worked a lot on my super continental so im use to the mechanics, so many thanks for the info! Ill check it out and post pictures, youll maybe see the problems better than me!

Thanks. For taking time, ill be back with pictures!

Comment

Pm sent 52bill

Comment

Pm sent 52bill
                  We would appreciate it if you would post the progress here so all can benefit from the discussion and potentially add to the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                    We would appreciate it if you would post the progress here so all can benefit from the discussion and potentially add to the information.
                    Agree.

I did get your PM and am happy to help you. If the other problems are for this organ then let's discuss them all here, if it is for a different instrument, then start a new thread for that one and we can discuss it there.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                      Agree.

I did get your PM and am happy to help you. If the other problems are for this organ then let's discuss them all here, if it is for a different instrument, then start a new thread for that one and we can discuss it there.
                      Thanks ill start another thread, and of course ill keep all my information and picture on this forum to share the information, its the way we can all help the community!

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates, i had to putput the project aside for a bit but its now back on track. First i decided to send my Vox to my organ technician, he fixed all key problem xcept for the major problem, my IV missed harmonic.

On the last post you asked me to verify the wiring of the contact, on the vox showroom they illustrated that the IV contact must have flur wore on it, on mine they are that way.

1- (upper) 1 x black wire
                        2- 1 x grey wire
                        3- 1 x green wire
                        4- bottom 2 x red

So is there different way of wireing them or im Screwed?

My tech isn't speaking English so ill be the translator.

Thanks, i really hope we will find the way to fix it

Comment

And my technician asked if i can have the electronic diagram for it

Comment

And my technician asked if i can have the electronic diagram for it
                            The schematics are all here.
                            Nate's Vox Continental Organ Project Page

At the end of the keybed are the ends of the 4 key contact bus wires. To each of these busses there is a wire that connects to the drawbars. There is also a 5th wire that connects to the ground buss wires. Earlier I listed the wire colors used in the organ that is shown on the Vox Showroom site.

Are you saying that the wires on your organ are different colors? Or are you saying that you do not have 5 wires?

Comment

Ill get back to my tech and taking pictures, like you said, pictures will talk even more than me and my poor electronic knowledge

Ill take pix of the buss bar wire and of the key contact board with their wire also

Comment

Working...
                              X