Guitar volume reduction pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footswitch

I still practice the lost art of using the volume and tone controls on my guitar.
    I learned it from the blues guys.
    EQ and volume change a lot during one of my gigs. People come into and leave the room & that changes things and the songs have dynamics so they go up and down in volume. I change my volume and eq on the fly,in real time.
    Nowadays everyone seems to want a "magic" stompbox that gives them "that sound".
    I set my amp up louder than I will play with more treble than I will use and then I use the controls on my guitar to get everything that I will need.

JJ

Comment

If that works for you, great, but it won't always. Turning the treble down on the guitar is not the same as turning the treble down after the preamp. And turning down what goes into the preamp affects the sound differently than changing the volume after the preamp.

Kinda like putting some salt on a steak before you cook it has a different effect than salting it after.

SO in the amps, both approaches have their value.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't have to turn the treble down on the guitar. The Tele has passive electronics. The first thing to go is the treble when I turn down the guitars volume.
        That's why I start with more than I need. Also,my Tweed amps have more gain as you twist the tone controls on the amp,more gain that I can have fun with.
        I get different timbre's at different volumes and have exactly what I need,when I need it.
        Yes,it does work for me and yes it works always which is why I do it.

JJ

Comment

It does what you need, and that is all that matters.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Very true.
            It took me a long time to get it down and now it's second nature.
            I know most folks just turn the guitar volume & tone up full & stomp on their little boxes and that's also cool.
            Whatever works for you is your right way.

JJ

Comment

Been playing a Les Paul with the dual volumes and tones, there are some really cool shades blending them, takes a little longer than stepping on a pedal, especially with the switch on the other end of the guitar.

Comment

Get a volume pedal (make sure it has the right pot for guitar) and put a second pot in series with the first (between the pedal pot's ground tab and jacks ground). The second pot will set the volume when the pedal is at minimum, which will be your rhythm volume. Push the pedal to max for your solo volume.

Comment

Working...
                X