Problem with old casiotone keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with old casiotone keyboard

I have a nice old Casiotone 403 keyboard. It's been sounding great for years, but after being unused for several months, it now doesn't sound right.
    Symptoms are:

- Volume is pretty low, even with knob all the way up.
    - Distortion, especially when multiple keys played together

Aside from that, everything "works" as it should.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Maybe not enough voltage getting to it? Note - this is A/C powered only (no batteries).

Thanks for any help!

My best bet would be dried out electrolytic caps, based on 2 things- it's old, and it sat unused for a while. Of course, that's a bit of a guess based on the limited information we have. If you have a cap tester, check the electrolytics in the power supply. If you have a voltmeter, check for excessive power supply ripple and check that your supplies are up to snuff.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Check the mains plug isn't corroded - I've had two items in recently where the low voltage has been down to oxidized pins. Anything further would require the unit to be opened and voltages checked.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        If you have a voltmeter, check for excessive power supply ripple and check that your supplies are up to snuff.
        I just found this out:
        Beware that cheap DVMs can give whacky results if you use the AC range to measure a voltage with a DC component.

Does multimeter measure Vrms or (Vripple)rms? | Electronics Forum (Circuits, Projects and Microcontrollers)
        Quote: "My 1.5 volt AA alkaline cell reads 3.1 volts on the 200 VAC range.​"
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          My best bet would be dried out electrolytic caps, based on 2 things- it's old, and it sat unused for a while. Of course, that's a bit of a guess based on the limited information we have. If you have a cap tester, check the electrolytics in the power supply. If you have a voltmeter, check for excessive power supply ripple and check that your supplies are up to snuff.
          Thanks, dude. Do you mean these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	casiotone_caps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	619.8 KB
ID:	841003

Comment

"Fixed"

Well, I am happy to report that after opening it up, vacuuming out the 30-something years of dust, and making sure all connections were good.... it now sounds good as new.

Comment

Working...
            X