Help with vintage soviet Synth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool !!!!

And WEIRD electronics .... like wire color coding (*all* blue, why bother with others? ) 200 contact rotary switches where only 4 were used, Round to Dip to Round Op Amp pinout adapters, weird trimmers, Bakelite molded caps .... metallic round case Op amps and transistors ... coupled to a modern well made front panel, modern graphics, good silkscreen .... the works.

Mind you , when I started I used metallic BC107 and round case 741 so was not that far away ... but it was 1969 !!!!!!

Of course, designers use what's available, and get good results, proof that end result lies in the *design* and not in the *parts* .

FWIW I'm absolutely certain that I could make almost the same amplifiers, get almost same sounds, if all I had were 741 and 2N3055, go figure.

PCBs would be somewhat larger and complex, amps would hiss more, but no big deal.

Now that I think about it, maybe some day I'm bored I'll make some transformer driven power amp, 2N3055 output, plus 741 and BC*** preamps or just the bipolars , just for fun.

Last week my digital tester battery died, all I found in random drawers still in the original package were dead and leaking (proof not everything NOS is good ), it was Friday 11PM with a customer breathing over my shoulder and I had to dust an old needle multimeter, again with dead leaking AA batteries so I coukdn't measure resistance or diodes but at least the voltmeter worked perfectly ... as would the ammeter if I had needed it.
    The time machine indeed.

FWIW next morning I bought a 9V battery for the digital one and a couple AA alkalines for the old workhorse which had saved my bacon once more.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Great !!!! good news indeed !

"Interesting.Care to share a playlist of those "moscow pop" songs?
      All google shows is Moscow based "pop" radios ... playing brit/US modern or classic Pop in English."

Regarding Moscow Pop a little while ago I downloaded a small "Radio Streaming Player" (2.1M) TapinRadio Free.
      I have no association with the product but it works quite well and has a recording facility.

Overwhelmed by the number of stations !

I took a snap of the stations available... now which one is likely to have the old synths?

Code:
      http://www.raimersoft.com/tapinradio.aspx]Raimersoft - TapinRadio
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
        Regarding Moscow Pop a little while ago I downloaded a small "Radio Streaming Player" (2.1M) TapinRadio Free.

I took a snap of the stations available... now which one is likely to have the old synths?
        THANKS a lot

Personally I still use Winamp Radio , which listens to the Shoutcast network, so not all radios are there, and have an ass-on which records music played there, but will trybthis one, in fact I'm downloading it NOW.

From your list, I guess the 80's/90's Hits Radio should be the one, but I'd love having Stan post some specific bands or songs, to be searched in you Tube, to specifically hear these cheesy Synths ... or si called bubblegum music .

As said before, regular "Pop" radios all over the World (not only in Russia) tend to be chock full of Duran Duran, Madonna, Michael Jackson or whatever was popular way back then ... in UK/USA ... rather than local produce

Or they go to the other extreme and it's just violin, balalaika, accordion and hand clapping, quite authentic but not what I am searching.

Oh well, will try those stations in your list

EDIT:
        just installed TapinRadio: VERY good, am browsing tons of worldwide radios, works like a charm
        Last edited by J M Fahey; 05-06-2016, 01:10 AM.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

hey Enzo. If you are up on DX7's, give me some free advice (BESIDES jumping off the cliff!). Have a DX7 that i got that was WORKED on by a music store to replace the memory battery. I talked to the yuts shortly after he worked on it and he told me he ROUTINELY solders in a new battery while the unit is ON. Now, the memory is dead after powering up and has to be reloaded each time the keyboard is turned off. If I remember correctly, when you check the voltage of the battery with the onboard check feature, it says something like 5 volts or something which is way above the actual voltage of the 2032 or 2016 that's in it (3V). Anyway, I have it now and wonder if it's worth chasing as I'm pretty much a tube guy and if the RAM is shot, I'm told it's not available anymore. Looking for ideas, advice, consolation, etc.! Anyway, anything you know would be appreciated. Mike---aka jbltwin1

Comment

Working...
          X