SMoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMoke

I have a nice old Revox A700 reel deck in here. A guy brought it in a long time ago, and it got trapped by my heart failure. My head wasn;t clear enough to figure it out, and the thing is really heavy, and I couldn;t lift it to the bench top. But as I clear things, I see it and realize I need to get it back to the customer, and I can lift it now, so I did. Figured I might as well see what it needs and maybe fix it.

Pulled the back off, a row of like ten fuses, went down them and found an open one. Without that fuse, the thing seemed to power up and the capstan motor spins. OH well, replace the fuse and let's see what happens. Hmmm, nothing happens. Same motor spinning and the unit sits there.... then 3...2...1... FOOF, huge clouds of white smoke billow out from behind something.

Ah, perhaps THAT is the problem. At least I now know where the problem is, at least part of it. managed to get the screws out of this and that to free that and this, and found a relay board in my hand. One of the half dozen 0.47uf 150vAC caps in the motor circuit had vented. Two hours later, my shop still stinks of cap steam. Looks like an RC with 4.7 ohm and a 0.47uf cap series across a reel motor winding.

Got nothing like that, so I'll try my loccal parts store in the morning.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Enzo you may be interested in this link

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Revox/Revox_A700/

Comment

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Turns out the customer had the service manual and brought it with him. it is a huge thick book with a bright red cover.

But I will save those, because the book goes home with the deck.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

YOU LET THE SMOKE OUT!?!?!?!? Do they have something like this for Revox gear?

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post

Got nothing like that, so I'll try my loccal parts store in the morning.
          What is our local parts store?

Comment

Fultons.

South Pennsylvania north of Miller. They are across from the Cadillac dealer and next door to the topless bar.

Comment

I was just reflecting on how these machines were found in just about all pro studios in the past.
              Many singles and albums were mastered to these.
              I thought it would be interesting to compare specs with modern portable stereo/two track recorders
              until I discovered the modern ones are more concerned with recording time, sampling rate (no wow and flutter here)
              and formats. What ever happened to crosstalk- sig to noise- freq response - distortion etc... must be immeasurable these days !!!
              Revox A700
              Wow and flutter: 0.06% (7 1⁄2 ips)

Frequency response: 30Hz to 22kHz (7 1⁄2 ips)

Signal to Noise Ratio: 65dB

Total harmonic distortion: 0.6%

Crosstalk: 45dB

Revox A77
              Wow and flutter: 0.08% (7 1⁄2 ips)

Frequency response: 30Hz to 20kHz (7 1⁄2 ips)

Signal to Noise Ratio: 62dB

Total harmonic distortion: 0.6%

Crosstalk: 45dB

Comment

Yep, pretty nice deck.

The smoke has cleared, and I just finished soldering six caps to the little board. I think I will take a nap before lifting the thing back up on the bench.

Comment

Working...
                X