Subwoofer thumping continuously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer thumping continuously

Hey there, its been a long time since I've posted on here but back when I used to mess around with amp ampage was always the most helpful place so I thought I'd give you all a go!

I have this MJ Acoustics Reference 1 MKII subwoofer and recently its started acting up. When I turn the amp on, as usual it will take a second to come on (caps charging up or whatnot), and once the relay kicks on normally the amp is good to go. However, all of a sudden now once the relay kicks on, I hear a loud popping or thumping noise, like in-rush current but just over and over again, fast, I'd say about 3-4 times a seconds. It happens regardless of whether or not there is any input signal, and even when there is I can't hear anything but the thumping.

I've taken the amp out and looked at it on startup to see if its the relay just clicking over and over but its a see through housing and I can see it click, make contact, and stay there. I did notice that the board is a little discolored around one of the IC's, its a TI NE5532P opamp. The filter caps don't look bulged and aren't leaking, nor are any others...

Any ideas folks? I do have a scope if that helps, haven't used it in ages but if you've got any ideas shout at me!

It's called motorboating. Probably time for a recap and a check of the subwoofer PA power supply.
    Valvulados

Comment

My guess is that it is cycling trying to protect itself. Power up- fault sense- try again- fault sense- try again- fault sense, rinse and repeat. I would first check for any shorted output devices in the power amp.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
      X