korg c6500 digital piano stuck key??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• korg c6500 digital piano stuck key??

Hi all i have a korg c6500 from many years ago. still plays great but recently the middle E key stick or doesnt return back normally. ive used compressed air, ran some carboard thru all sides to see if there is a physical debris problem. nothing. i removed all the screws but cant get inside the thing! does anyone have any idea how to fix this issue or at least access the keyboard to get a good look at whats going on??

thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Originally posted by funghi2 View Post
    Hi all i have a korg c6500 from many years ago. still plays great but recently the middle E key stick or doesnt return back normally. ive used compressed air, ran some carboard thru all sides to see if there is a physical debris problem. nothing. i removed all the screws but cant get inside the thing! does anyone have any idea how to fix this issue or at least access the keyboard to get a good look at whats going on??

thanks in advance
    It may not be the same but may give you enough info on how to open a korg product.
    I've found sometimes even a similar model
    will help me move forward in unfamilar territory. After you've opened a few dozen or so you starts to get an idea of how different manufacturers close their products up.
    Hope it helps,
    nosaj
    http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/K...E%20MANUAL.pdf
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Too long since I worked on one...

Unless the whole upper is hinged at the back, you will have to uncover the keybed. First look at the rear, are there hinges along the bottom edge? Like a couple few screws would free the entire wooden top to swing back away from the keys? Otherwise the top and front panel have to get out of the way, and maybe the front bar in front of the keys. Then a bunch, maybe 10 or 12 screws will hold the keybed assembly in place. SOme might go through from underneath, or possible screws are up inside the unit into either the bare wood, or more likely into T-nuts.

Keys can get sidewise adn rub their neighbor, but there is also usually some part of the keybed frame ssticking up into the hollow key, and if the=at gets bent a little sideways, it will bind the key. See if dfrom the outside you can flex the key slightly to the left or right and see if it rubs less one side over the other. And the rubbing side you might push teh key sideways a little to try to realign things.

But you may have to extract the key to determine the issue. There are often little rubber guys in there, and if one wears out and rotates out of position it could bind. You could have a paper clip fell in and got in the works. SO many ways. If it uses a flat spring Yamaha keybed, the spring could be pushed down into the key. Korg used Yamaha keybeds in many models.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

enzo tyv, for the reply, im thinking its rubbing somewhere but no way to move it over, it returns to the same place. i took a video may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-J6...m-upload_owner

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          You could have a paper clip fell in and got in the works.
          Kids seem to enjoy putting things into keyboards as much as they liked stuffing foreign objects into VHS machines.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

whats a "VHS machine"?

Comment

A poor mans betamax.
              I'm sure you've heard the one about the bartender telling the mushroom 'we don't serve your kind here' ?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Comment

Have you tried swapping the low "E" key for this one ? This should prove if there is any deformity in the key or in the key bed itself if you
                  see what I mean.
                  Of course you could always chose sheet music that doesn't use that note !

Comment

uch! of course ive closed up the whole unit now! was a great idea

Comment

Working...
                    X