Dum dum dum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dum dum dum

SO I listed a variac down in flea market, and some one expressed an interest. I thought I should be a good citizen and make sure it worked, so I put it on the bench, grabbed one of my 100w bulb in a socket with power cord thingies I used to test light dimmers, and plugged it into the variac. Verified the variac doesn't draw current itself. Plugged in the bulb, dialed it up and... nothing. Crap. Got the fuse out and checked it, was measuring continuity through the thing up its power cord and output socket. And then common sense took over.

I checked the bulb in the socket. Dead bulb. Sometimes I is stupid. I have a secret stash of 100w bulbs on the shelf, so I invested a new one into my porcelain socket, et voila, variac works as it should.

And note to self: thanks to me for finally adding "variac" to my spell checker, after it has flagged the word for the last, oh decade or so.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    SO I listed a variac down in flea market, and some one expressed an interest. I thought I should be a good citizen and make sure it worked, so I put it on the bench, grabbed one of my 100w bulb in a socket with power cord thingies I used to test light dimmers, and plugged it into the variac. Verified the variac doesn't draw current itself. Plugged in the bulb, dialed it up and... nothing. Crap. Got the fuse out and checked it, was measuring continuity through the thing up its power cord and output socket. And then common sense took over.

I checked the bulb in the socket. Dead bulb. Sometimes I is stupid. I have a secret stash of 100w bulbs on the shelf, so I invested a new one into my porcelain socket, et voila, variac works as it should.

And note to self: thanks to me for finally adding "variac" to my spell checker, after it has flagged the word for the last, oh decade or so.
    No one goes thru life w/o a duh moment now and then Enzo. You're anything BUT stupid, and I along with no doubt countless others on the internet who have benefited from your knowledge greatly appreciate your help along with others here who like you constantly amaze me with the help you freely give. Now if ya wanna talk stupid, i see it daily in this device i have in my bathroom called a mirror. THAT sir is "dum dum dum".

Comment

Working...
    X