Korg Kross-61 power problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korg Kross-61 power problem

I have a Korg Kross-61 digital keyboard that has a problem with power. I also got a new power supply adapter for it. When you turn it on, it will stay on for about 5 seconds, then shuts itself off. What could be the problem here?

All I can suggest that would fit your symptoms is that it's drawing too much current.

There could be many reasons, a bad cap, a shorted regulator... You could open it up and inspect for anything that looks as it it's been overheating for a clue. You may be able to unplug boards to isolate it to one board. Really, without the road map that is the schematic it's really hard to find your way around. Try to see if you can get a schematic.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I wonder if it could be a power supply module inside the keyboard? Our company is not an authorized service center for Korg. So parts and schematics will not be easy to get. I'll try online somewhere. Just wondering if anyone came across a similar problem like this before?

Comment

Did you get the factory power supply? Do you have the current specs for the keyboard? Does the power supply current rating match those specs?
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It's a generic power supply. It's a 9vdc, center +, 3A adapter. The company we purchased it from said it will work with the Kross 61. I've tested it with a fresh set of batteries, without the power adapter, and it works like a charm. When I pull the batteries and used the power adapter alone, it doesn't work at all.

Comment

My first suspect would be the keyboard's DC in jack might have cracked solder joints- a common problem. I would measure the voltage on the pads that the jack solders to and see what's there. Check that against the power supply plug itself, etc. You will at least then know if the supply is dying, contact is bad, or if the problem is internal to the keyboard.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
            X