Cheap signal tracer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap signal tracer

In cleaning my shop, I find boxes of bits I have saved. One thing I like to do is find an old receiver or tape deck or VCR and strip it down as far as it will go, to the last screw. I find this refreshing when I need to get my head out of what I am doing. I built up a great collection of metric screws that way. I always saved the power transformers, so I have a bunch of small ones from like cassette decks, and larger ones from stereo receivers.

One thing I find in some better gear are small boards with a headphone amp on it. Some are just a chip and a jack, some have a volume control too. Hookup is intuitve, usually left and right signals, power and ground. Some run the little IC dual supplies, others single supply. Whatever. I think the one I am looking at came from a multidisk CD player.

I came upon one such board last night, and connected my bench supply to it and put on my phones. It worked. It occurs to me I could use these things as basic signal tracers. Not a lot of gain, but I could easily add a gain stage. I powered it from a 12v supply, but a wall wart would do as well, or even a battery, and those choices leave it unconnected to earth.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Very cool! Do you use a cap at the end of a cable as a probe?

Comment

There wasn't one during my test, but I would indeed install one.

It is just an idea, it may or may not need a gain boost. Or for that matter, the op amp gain is set by resistors, I could tweak those.

I think I saw a small phones amp board in some Yamaha keyboard too. I had a number more of them saved somewhere, though I may have tossed them.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ya a small headphone amp would be cool. I have a small battery powered guitar amp that I use with a probe. It has a headphone out but I've never tried it.

Comment

Oh, well nothing wrong with a speaker. I just always have a set of phones hanging next to me, and this little circuit was sitting there in front of me, and...

Comment

Working...
          X